SAIC is seeking a Chief Engineer – DoD Systems Engineering Modernization and research to join our team of qualified, diverse, and highly motivated individuals supporting the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense, Research and Engineering (OUSD(R&E)).
OUSD(R&E) seeks to modernize SE to confront the challenging realities of acquiring military capability. OUSD(R&E) is looking to transform Systems Engineering culture to utilize the new advances in ongoing initiatives (e.g., Digital Engineering, Modular Open Systems Approach, DevSecOps, Agile approaches) and relevant technology advances (e.g., Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning, cloud computing). The near-term goal is to standup Agile-type Systems Engineering practices for the DoD at the OUSD level by leveraging transformational best practices already ongoing in other agencies. The candidate will work with the DoD Systems Engineering community of practice to share processes and data from existing programs using best SE practices; build a dynamic body of knowledge based on best practices; assess SE capability gaps and recommend solutions to address gaps; and facilitate reuse of the body of knowledge across OUSD(R&E) Modernization priorities (e.g., Autonomy, Cyber, Hypersonics, Directed Energy).
Work will be performed primarily at the Pentagon, the Mark Center in Alexandria, VA, and local company offices.
Education & Experience
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in engineering discipline
- Minimum of twenty (20) years of engineering experience
- Expertise in developing large scale, software intensive system solutions to complex and challenging DoD problems
- Experience leading Systems Engineering (SE) tasks including Technology Analysis and Assessment, System Definition, Systems Analysis, Systems Architecture development and architecture models for Systems of Systems (SoS), kill chain analysis, SE trade space and analysis to define capability gaps, Modeling and Simulation activities for mission improvement, component based development, systems integration, interface control, and logistics support of DoD systems
- Experience in supporting technical, managerial, or operational fields and have expert credentials or be recognized as an authority and have the mature judgement required to advise senior government personnel
- Working knowledge of collaborative systems engineering tools (e.g., Teamcenter, DOORS, ClearCase/ClearQuest, Magic Draw, Rhapsody); DevSecOps tools (e.g., Kubernetes, Jenkins, GitLab, JIRA); and cloud computing (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, Cloud One)
- Understanding of the technical and programmatic elements of DoD acquisition lifecycle, activities, timeline, acquisitions, best practices, policies, dependencies, and interrelationships
- Expert technical knowledge of DoD systems engineering technical and technical management processes to a functional specialty in Integrated Product Team (IPT) environments
- Engineering domain experience and understanding of current/future DoD military systems.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience in integrating new technologies and approaches (e.g., artificial intelligence (AI)/machine learning, Digital Engineering, DevSecOps)
- PhD in Engineering or related field is desired
- Experience as chief engineer or lead systems engineer for a major defense acquisition program development effort is highly desired
- Experience interfacing with Joint Staff, Services, and warfighters to coordinate engineering and analysis needs is highly desired
Target salary range: More than $165,000. The estimate displayed represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors. Overview
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com
or Working at SAIC
for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.