OSP Engineer - Network Maintenance and Relocations
MUST HAVE SKILLS:
* Strong leadership and project management skills.
* Strong vendor management skills working with OSP construction and engineering firms.
* Excellent oral, written, and listening skills. Capable of interacting with customers and co-workers at all levels including executives.
* Detail oriented, well organized, and effective in multi-tasking
* Capable of working independently to achieve deliverables and resolve urgent/complex issues
* In-depth knowledge of fiber optic engineering principles, OSP construction practices and industry standards.
* Knowledge of steps involved in working OSP projects from design and permitting to construction, fiber splicing and optical testing.
* Working knowledge of right-of-way property rights and permit acquisition.
* In-depth knowledge of OSP network design and GPON networks preferred.
* Experience with fiber circuit inventory databases and workflow applications.
* Experience with engineering and software applications including: Visio, AutoCAD and geospatial applications (ArcGIS/ESRI, 3GIS, Google Earth, etc.)
* Strong computer skills and working experience with MS Office and Google applications.
* Knowledge of creating and working with MS Excel worksheets required
Note: Candidate must have their own PPE (Personal Protection equipment) necessary to perform site walks at live construction sites.
* Past experience working with a Client network and local OSP construction practices in Chicago preferred.
* Responsible for managing engineering and construction activities associated with expanding and maintaining Client's outside plant network in Illinois and NW Indiana.
* Perform engineering activities to implement existing fiber network maintenance, upgrades and relocation projects. Implement projects that maximize network reliability using cost effective solutions.
* Perform engineering activities related to building and expanding fiber network. Oversee project engineering design, implementation and testing of new fiber builds that maximize network reliability using cost effective solutions.
* Engage appropriate internal and external organizations to accomplish required tasks.
* Leads large scale projects, driving productivity through use of vendor resources to meet deliverables.
* Coordinate project activities with external contractors, engineering firms, developers, municipalities and consultants.
* Proposes solutions supported by sound engineering and operational productivity to achieve goals in creative and effective ways.
* Recognizes vulnerabilities in network infrastructure and makes intelligent decisions to ensure reliability - within financial constraints.
* Prepares detailed cost analysis, project specifications, spend forecasts, route mapping, requisitions, and business justifications.
* Processes reports, vendor invoices, material receipts, and other administrative duties.
* Receives general instruction, otherwise performs independently with minimal supervision, exercising latitude to achieve daily objectives and approaches to critical/complex assignments.
* Multi-tasks to effectively manage a wide range of simultaneous activities often interrupted by other demands.
* Zero network outages and no customer impact is expected.
* Requires High school degree and 4+years of job-related experience or degree in related field. A combination of education and applicable work experience may be acceptable.
Primary work environment is in an office setting with strong team collaboration. Field visits maybe required during construction activity to insure accurate, reliable project implementation.
Typical work hours are 8am - 5pm M-F. Additional hours maybe required to support work load. Evening, night and weekend work hours maybe required to support project implementation.
Must have personal vehicle for field activity. M
- Active Listening
- Arc Gis (Gis Software)
- Attention To Detail
- Auto Cad