At NRG, we’re bringing the power of energy to people and organizations by putting customers at the center of everything we do. We generate electricity and provide energy solutions and natural gas to millions of customers through our diverse portfolio of retail brands. A Fortune 500 company, operating in the United States and Canada, NRG delivers innovative solutions while advocating for competitive energy markets and customer choice, working towards a sustainable energy future. More information is available at [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Plant Engineer. Connect with NRG on Facebook, LinkedIn and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy.
Provide support for process improvements, performance monitoring, root cause analysis, engineering and construction activities, and operating and maintenance functions to ensure safe and efficient plant operation.
- Provide direction to operations and maintenance departments to insure that plant equipment remains reliable. This includes both technical and financial decisions which impact the overall unit availability and cost control.
- Provide technical support, testing and inspection expertise within their assigned process areas to ensure safe, reliable, and efficient plant operation.
- Optimize station equipment operation to meet key performance indicators
- Develop O&M and Capital budgets for the process equipment. Assemble ten year plans and budgets for projects to establish accurate projected cash flows out into the future.
- Develop strategic plans for equipment overhauls to optimize equipment life and time between overhauls.
- Develop outage schedules, coordinate and perform outage inspections for all process equipment.
- Utilize predictive and preventative maintenance (PM/PDM) techniques to monitor and improve equipment. Evaluate and analyze process variables to identify status and trending of key operating parameters.
- Conduct root cause analysis of equipment problems and provide recommendations to prevent future incidents. Assemble all equipment failure reports.
- Develop, review & revise station procedures & technical instructions and documentation of equipment testing and inspections.
- Provide engineering, design, economic justification, and specify parts and materials for projects and modifications. Implement projects and process modifications.
- Conduct or procure training as required within their process.
- Interface with outside engineering resources on an “as-needed” basis.
- Work effectively in a team environment as a leader, member and/or facilitator.
- Perform other duties and assignments as required.
Any combination equivalent to, but not limited to, the following:
Engineering or Technical Degree with a minimum of five years experience in technical support of power plant processes. Extensive work-related experience may be substituted for Engineering or technical degree.
- Experience with ABB Bailey and/or WDPF Digital Control Systems (DCS)
- Experience with Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC)
- Experience with OPC interfaces and graphic design
- Knowledgeable in process controls, control system configurations, and design within a coal plant environment
- Experience manager small to large control projects, including installments, system upgrades and maintenance
- Thorough understanding of Power Plant processes and equipment and the interrelationships between them.
- Overall understanding of Power Plant operations and maintenance requirements.
- Thorough knowledge of operation, maintenance and control of plant systems and equipment specific to the process area of the position. (e.g. Boilers and related auxiliary equipment, Turbine-Generators and related auxiliary equipment, Balance of Plant systems and equipment, Fuel Handling Systems and equipment, Electrical systems and equipment, Instrument & Controls systems, Plant Chemistry control and Water Treatment systems)
- Ability to effectively supervise, train and direct others (peers, employees, contractors/vendors) in an understandable, clear and consistent manner
- Ability to read and understand technical information, prints and engineering data, interpret charts, graphs, and gauge scales. Ability to troubleshoot and repair equipment and systems.
- Risk management - able to make good judgment on utilization of sometimes limited resources.
- General to thorough knowledge in root cause analysis and proficient in technical report writing.
- Proficient in the use of PC, and Windows & Microsoft Office applications with particular emphasis on spreadsheet, scheduling, equipment performance and word processing programs.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
- This position is a combination of work in office and industrial settings.
- Must be able to wear required personal protection equipment (PPE) such as hard hats, safety glasses, goggles, face shields, hearing protection, respirators, fall protection harnesses, and other PPE as required.
- Duties require extensive manual dexterity in usage of computer terminal and keyboard, while sitting for long periods of time preparing budgets, work scopes, outage schedules, and other reports as needed.
- May be required to perform equipment inspections by climbing vertical ladders in excess of 20 feet and stairways in excess of 50 feet, using step stool, kneeling, bending, walking over uneven surfaces such as loose rock, open grating, up and down staircases.
- May also be required to operate mobile equipment such as zoom booms or scissor lifts to reach heights to inspect equipment, which includes pushing or pulling equipment into place, climbing into a basket, and riding in the basket while the equipment is operation.
- The compartments where certain equipment may be located may exceed temperatures of 130°F.
- May be required to prepare and conduct training, including mentoring individuals one-on-one. In conducting training, the specialist may be required to carry training materials, and to stand for extended periods of time.
- This position may require some domestic travel.
(Management reserves the right to change, rescind, add, or delete the duties and responsibilities of positions within the job classification at any time.)
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Plant Engineer)
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources
- Assembly And Installation
- Business Process Improvement
- Coaching And Mentoring
- Computer Keyboards
- Computer Terminals