No industry is moving faster than health care. And no organization is better positioned to lead health care forward. We need attention to every detail with an eye for the points no one has considered. The rewards for performance are significant. You'll help improve the health of millions. And you'll do your life's best work.(sm)
At Optum, our Epidemiology department conducts customized Epidemiologic research studies. We contract with clients to conduct custom studies, including observational safety studies to fulfill post-marketing regulatory commitments, comparative effectiveness research, and descriptive epidemiology/natural history of disease studies. We commonly utilize existing administrative claims or Electronic Health Records databases as the source of our study populations, supplemented by secondary sources (e.g., medical records, surveys, registries). Our client services often include the development of a protocol, performance of analysis, with the end-result being a report that is delivered to the client.
The Project Manager is responsible for ensuring quality and standards of excellence for cross-functional projects, their inter-dependencies and risks, and ongoing operations as directed by the project objectives, protocol, contract, and the Principal Investigator. In collaboration with a project team, the study sponsor and additional internal and external stakeholders the Project Manager is responsible for ensuring the overall integrity, coherence, and success. The Project Manager’s main remit is to identify and mitigate current and future risk so we may complete projects on time, on budget, in compliance, and with audit-ready and high quality reproducible results.
The job description serves as a broad outline of the Project Manager duties and will be reviewed and amended periodically in consultation with the Project Director to meet the business need.
If you are located in Boston, MA, you will have the flexibility to telecommute a portion of the workweek as you take on some tough challenges.
Manage Epidemiology projects and key deliverables including:
- Lead day-to-day operational management for assigned Epidemiology projects, assure adherence to SOPs, contractual requirements, oversee detailed timeline, budget, and resources for successful completion of deliverables
- Act as primary coordinator for study sponsor, study team and other internal/external third parties (e.g., research partners, IRB, vendors, clinicians)
- Manage project plans, timelines, financials (revenue, invoices, budget,) scope, quality, and compliance
- Coordinate data collection activities, including subcontractor contracts, finances, performance management
- Identify all necessary reviews and approvals and facilitate study submission in collaboration with project team
- Provide timely and accurate status reporting of milestones, risks, and finances to key stakeholders
- Ensure all project documentation are maintained up to date and are reflective of the current status of the project; lead internal/external audits as needed
- Contribute to the development of resources and guidelines for the Epidemiology department
- Operational development of proposals, budgets, and contracts for new opportunities and amendments to existing work
- Initiate and facilitate contracting activities with client, third party vendors and consultants while interfacing with Legal and Business Development
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years in a client-facing, project management role for all phases of project cycle – from project initiation to close-out and transition to operations on large and complex projects
- 3+ years of experience with contracting and operational business development of proposals and budgets
- Familiarity with commercial research, data management of administrative claims/electronic health records
- Experience managing relationships with cross functional teams and external partners, subcontractors and vendors
- Proficiency with Microsoft Project, Excel, Power Point, Word, Visio, Outlook
- Proven track record for managing risks and delivering high quality results on time, in scope, and on budget
- Ability to work in the Boston, MA office
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. When in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are required to wear a mask in common areas. In addition, employees must comply with any state and local masking orders
- MBA, other degree, or equivalent training and experience in related field
- PMP certification
- Experience responding to audits
- Experience mentoring junior staff
- Proactive problem solver with excellent strategic planning, coordination and organizational skills
- Demonstrates excellent written/verbal communication skills with attention to detail and ability to communicate with senior management and other stakeholders
- Ability to internalize, interpret and document complex scenarios clearly and concisely
- Strong leadership and negotiation skills
- Thrives in fast-paced and dynamic work environment
- Efficient, resilient, collaborative, flexible, innovative
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: research project manager, project manager, project management, PM, Boston, MA, Massachusetts, telecommute, telecommuter, remote, work from home