About Urban Institute:
At the Urban Institute, we believe in the power of evidence to improve lives and strengthen communities. As a nonprofit focusing on social and economic policy, our researchers and policy entrepreneurs open minds, shape decisions, and identify transformative solutions to the most pressing issues of our time.Our Mission
To open minds, shape decisions, and offer solutions through economic and social policy research.Our Values
Collaboration, Equity, Inclusivity, Independence, and Integrity
For more information on the Urban Institute, please visit [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Financial Data Analyst II (Office of Finance) The Opportunity:
The Finance Department works primarily to manage the organization's budget, finances, and business intelligence as well as support the executive management of the Institute. Major responsibilities of the department include the preparation of the yearly Institute budget as well as performance reporting and analysis as it relates to the Research Centers and Administrative offices. The most important responsibility is to support Urban senior management in making informed decisions by providing reporting and analysis to help evaluate the performance of the Institute.What You'll Do:
The successful candidate will support the finance team by assisting in the analysis of a wide variety of financial and accounting issues.Responsibilities:
Who You Are:
- Work with end users on identifying and implementing best available solutions for data request.
- Construct and maintain various internal reports and data visualizations.
- Assume ownership of ETL processes between enterprise systems.
- Build ad-hoc financial analytics and statistical models.
- Assist in quality checks for financial source data.
- Assist in preparing Urban Institute's annual budget, re-budget, and monthly forecasts.
- Support the financial systems team with the administration of JAMIS Prime ERP.
- Provide additional support to the finance team as needed.
The successful applicant will:
What You'll Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or a closely related business field
- 2-5 Years of relevant experience
- Advanced proficiency in Excel and strong analytic skills
- Experience querying databases with a strong understanding of relational database design
- Experience with Microsoft Power BI or another business intelligence software
- Firm understanding of government contracting, contract vehicles, FAR cost principles, cost accounting standards, and indirect rates
- Attention to detail, results-oriented, and excellent organizational/time-management skills
- Strong work ethic
- Strong oral/written communication skills and the ability to successfully interact with staff in other departments
- Ability to adapt to shifting priorities and changes in the work environment, and an openness to try new approaches
- Experience with SQL and R
- Experience with Microsoft Access, Hyperion Essbase, and/or JAMIS Prime is a plus
- Experience with non-profit accounting is a plus
No matter your role with Urban, you will contribute to meaningful work that makes a difference for people and communities across the country. And whether you call the Washington, DC area or elsewhere home, you can expect to be part of a welcoming and hybrid workplace. We are committed to cultivating a community and working in a manner defined by collaboration, equity, inclusivity, independence, and integrity. Urban's greatest asset is our people.
Urban is committed to supporting our staff's physical, emotional, and financial well-being through a robust benefits package for yourself, eligible dependents, and domestic partners. It includes generous paid time off, including nine federal holidays, medical (including prescription), dental and vision insurance, and transit benefits. Urban is unique in that we offer 403(b) retirement plan participation immediately after you're hired and a generous employer contribution after five months of service and 1,000 hours, with immediate vesting. You'll also have access to a health advocate, personal finance coaching, an Employee Assistance Program, and educational assistance for undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
As a federal contractor, Urban will comply with Executive Order (EO) 14042 that requires federal contractors, subcontractors, and their respective employees to comply with Covid-19 vaccinations. All Urban Institute employees must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and comply with masking and distancing requirements, regardless of responsibilities or work location. New hires must also be fully vaccinated before starting work. Employees may request exemption from vaccination against COVID-19 based on either a medical condition or a sincerely held religious belief that prevents them from being vaccinated. Where such an exemption is approved, Urban will discuss with each employee potential accommodation.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the people assigned. This posting is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements. Urban management reserves the right to amend and change duties, responsibilities, and requirements to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
The Urban Institute is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender or gender identity, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, veteran status, pregnancy or family responsibilities, matriculation, disability, political affiliation, or any other protected status under applicable law.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you have a physical and/or mental disability and are interested in applying for employment and need special accommodations to use our website to apply for a position, please contact Human Resources at [ Email address blocked ] - Click here to apply to Financial Data Analyst II (Office of Finance)
. Reasonable accommodation requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Nastran (Computer Aided Design Software)
- Engineering Analysis
- Ptc Creo Elements/Pro
- Creo Elements/Pro (Computer Aided Design Software)
- Autodesk Simulation