Volunteers of America, Inc. (VOA, Inc.) is a national, faith-based human services organization that was founded in New York City in 1896 and has remained at the forefront of social service ever since, helping individuals and families in need overcome obstacles to living safe, healthy and productive lives in the community. The largest of the affiliates, Volunteers of America-Greater New York (VOA-GNY) serves tens of thousands of men, women, and children in need every year, through 80 programs staffed by 1,300 skilled and dedicated staff, throughout New York City, Westchester County and Northern New Jersey.
VOA-GNY’s life-changing, often life-saving work impacts the lives of individuals and families who are homeless and those at risk of homelessness, families recovering from domestic violence, children with developmental delays, individuals living with HIV/AIDS or behavioral health issues, older adults and veterans struggling to reintegrate. VOA, Inc. is one of the largest providers of permanent, supportive housing in the United States. VOA-GNY is the largest provider of supportive housing for veterans in New York, and is committed to addressing the needs of the community with compassion, creativity, respect, and therapeutic models that inform our work.
The Office Assistant/Receptionist coordinates front-desk activities and provide general office support with a variety of clerical activities and related tasks. The receptionist/office assistant will be responsible for welcoming guests and greeting people who visit the Administrative Office, answering incoming calls, redirecting calls to appropriate associates, mail distribution, flow of correspondence, requisitioning of supplies as well as additional clerical and office assistant duties as assigned.
High school degree with a proven work experience as a Receptionist, Front Office Assistant, or similar role. Hands-on experience with office equipment (e.g. telephone, computer, copiers and printers). Solid communication skills, excellent telephone skills. Ability to be resourceful and proactive when issues arise, and is able to deal with emergencies in a timely and effective manner in accordance with company policy and procedures. Must be able to perform diverse tasks with ease and maintain confidentiality. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
1. Receives, welcomes and assists all visitors and vendors as soon as they arrive at the
Administrative Office by directing them to the appropriate person and/or meeting room.
2. Maintains office security by following safety procedures and controlling access via the reception
desk (monitor logbook, issue visitor badges).
3. Answers incoming telephone calls and directs the caller to the appropriate associate or voice mail
when applicable. Provides callers with basic and accurate information such as company address,
directions to the company location, company website and other related information. Takes and
retrieves messages for various personnel, if requested.
4. Maintains the front desk, lobby, and mailroom areas in a clean and orderly manner at all times.
Coordinates and approves meeting room requests/schedules.
5. Receive, sort and distribute incoming mail to each department area. Coordinates the pick-up and
delivery of VOA-GNY inter-office and express mail services (FedEx, UPS, etc.).
6. Assists in the ordering, receiving, stocking and distribution of office supplies, including keeping
printer/copiers supplied and maintained. Processes electronically the refilling of the Pitney Bowes
7. Performs other related duties as required.
EFFECT ON END RESULTS
1. Visitors and vendors are identified and welcomed
2. Office security procedures and protocols are executed resulting in controlled access to the
3. Telephone calls and mail are handled courteously, privately, and safely.
4. Front desk, lobby, and mailroom areas are maintained in a clean and orderly manner.
5. The daily operations of the front desk and mailroom are efficient and maintained in an orderly
6. Office supplies are ordered timely, stocked and available for staff.
7. Related office tasks are performed completely, accurately, and on time.
Make a living by making a difference. Apply online today! Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Vets/Disabled.