The Department of Emergency Medicine is seeking a Programmer Analyst who will provide support in research software development, processing, analytics, and computer programming to several projects in the Center for Data Science in Emergency Medicine. The Programmer Analyst will provide support to the Sr. Programmer Analyst with translating research models and algorithms using health information gathered from multiple clinical information systems to software tools capable for use in clinical practice. He/she will also provide support with creating and integrating large databases comprised of health information and applying analytical methods to this data. Will report to Sr. Programmer Analyst/ Project Leader.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist in the day-to-day research and programmatic activities as they relate to software development and database management for research projects.
- Assist with developing software applications that inter-operate with clinical information systems to extract required data, process data, and apply computational models, and display output in accordance with user input.
- Apply systems analysis techniques to gather then translate business requirements into functional/technical specifications and designs.
- Effectively communicate work products verbally and through written publications and grant proposals.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Bachelor’s Degree required preferably in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Information Technologies, or related field required.
- One-year related experience required. Additional related experience may substitute for required education, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- Direct programming experience while pursuing education may count towards related experience. Significant undergraduate programming coursework or independent project can be considered as related experience.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
The successful candidate will have experience using the following software applications and/or programming languages:
- Required: SQL (SQL Server Preferred), JAVA, C/C++, Matlab and Python
- Ability to independently analyze and resolve complex problems.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as a member of interdisciplinary team.
- Assist in making technical decisions involving the platform and architecture to create and manage transaction databases and their related interfaces (i.e., software applications).
- Assist in translating the technical nature of an approach to non-technical audiences.
- Must know the applications and tools best suited for individual projects and how to procure them.
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits or 18 graduate degree credits = 1 year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college coursework may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
Classified Title: Programmer Analyst
Starting Salary Range: $50,700 - $69,780 annually (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F; 8:30AM-5PM
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: Mount Washington Campus
Department name: SOM Em Med Research
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Programmer Analyst. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons or because the individual is pregnant or attempting to become pregnant. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Programmer Analyst and all other JHU applicants should visit [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Programmer Analyst.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
[ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Programmer Analyst
- Business Requirements
- C++ (Programming Language)
- Clinical Practices