Requisition ID: 70721
Job Function/Category: Power
Employment Type: Non-exempt Full Time
This is an exciting time to be joining PSEG. Our commitments, which include safety, integrity, customer focus, and diversity & inclusion, are the fabric of our culture and help drive the success of our business. We are fortunate to have an outstanding workforce of diverse and highly skilled talent who move us forward in our operational excellence journey. PSEG has more than 12,000 employees who are dedicated to the communities we serve and embody our vision: People providing Safe, Reliable, Economic and Greener Energy.
Consistent with our core commitment of safety, PSEG has made the decision to require all new hires to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated as a condition of hire employment. "Full vaccination" is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a disability can request a reasonable accommodation.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs the duties required in connection with the installation, operation and maintenance of all types of protective and auxiliary relays and associated equipment in generating stations, switching stations, substations, customer's installations and field locations.
- Performs all work in the shop or field associated with relays and supervisory control and data acquisition equipment with the exception of data base configuration and maintenance. Perform field revisions to any prints as required.
- Pull and terminate control cable required for the installation, maintenance, troubleshooting and removal of all relays and associated relay equipment.
Must meet the Company's "General Requirements"; and, in addition:
- Must have the ability to complete the Company courses relating to their occupational group.
- Must have the ability to acquire a good working knowledge of the Company's operating and maintenance handbooks and manuals insofar as they pertain to this work, including the safety rules and practices as set forth therein.
- Must have the ability to understand the functioning of apparatus, control circuits and testing equipment and be able to understand and apply manufacturer's instructions for testing, adjustment and maintenance of protective equipment.
- Must have the ability to obtain a general knowledge of the system layout in the area assigned.
- Must have the ability to obtain a general knowledge of the theory of relay operation and the records relating thereto. Must be neat, clean and orderly in work and person and able to meet the public in a pleasant and tactful manner.
- Must have the qualities of patience, preciseness, manual dexterity, and the ability to exercise due care on work assignments.
- Must be proficient in the application of approved methods of artificial respiration.
- Must have successfully completed the Relay Technician's portion of the pre-employment test, except that an employee hired prior to May 1, 1983 who has or obtains a high school diploma or its equivalent, having taken courses in physics and mathematics including algebra, geometry, and trigonometry, does not have to complete the pre-employment test.
- Must be able to follow instructions and perform routine operations.
- Must have the mechanical and mental aptitudes suited to relay work.
- Must have the ability to learn:
- The reading of blueprints and wiring diagrams and the making of simple field sketches.
- The practices involved in the operation and maintenance of relays and associated equipment.
- The identification and use of instruments, tools, and equipment commonly used in this work.
- Must have the ability to complete satisfactorily Company courses in Fundamentals of Electricity DC and AC.
- Must have sufficient understanding of mathematics and other subjects necessary for satisfactory progress in advanced relay work. (Satisfactory completion of additional work in mathematics and electricity in a recognized technical or correspondence school for the equivalent of one school year, will meet this requirement.)
- Must have the ability to acquire sufficient knowledge of electronic circuits to perform work as applied in relay protection and in supervisory control.
- Must be resourceful and be able to use good judgment in this work; must be capable of good workmanship and able to work on energized relays without causing interruption to service.
- Assemble, disassemble, repair and adjust all types of facility electrical equipment which operates at a nominal voltage of 120 volts.
- Install, check, test, repair and remove temporary power and light as required, up to 120 volts.
- Perform minor repairs to equipment, such as leads on electrical equipment 220V and under.
- Analyze, check, and repair lighting circuits to 277 volts. Assist other occupational groups.
- Must be able to qualify for an auto driver's license to operate motor vehicles in the State of New Jersey.
Training and Courses
Fundamentals of Electricity - Direct current/ Alternating current
As an employee of PSE&G or PSEG Long Island, you should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.
This site ([ Link removed ] ) is strictly for candidates who are not currently PSEG employees. PSEG employees must apply for jobs internally through empower which can be accessed through the mypseg homepage by clicking on the employee center tab, then under the empower header, choose careers.
Business needs may cause PSEG to cancel or delay filling position at any time during the selection process.
Certain positions at the Company may require you to have access to Part 810-Controlled Information. Under the law, the Company is limited in who it can share this information with and in certain circumstances it is necessary to obtain specific authorization before the Company can share this information. Accordingly, if the position does require access to this information, you must complete a 10 CFR Part 810 Export Control Compliance Nationality Request Form, a copy of which will be provided to you by Talent Acquisition if an offer is made. If there is a need for specific authorization, due to the time it takes to obtain authorization from the government, we will likely not be able to further proceed with an offer.
Public Service Enterprise Group (PSEG) is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment, including the hiring process, based on any legal protected characteristic. Legally protected characteristics included, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in locations where PSEG employs individuals.
Need to request an accommodation?
If you have a disability and need assistance submitting your resume, applying for a position or registering for a test, please call
. Any information provided regarding a disability will be kept strictly confidential and will not be shared with anyone involved in making a hiring decision.
- Assembly And Installation