If you’re passionate about helping people protect what matters most to them, as well as innovating and simplifying processes and operations to provide the best customer value, then Nationwide’s Property and Casualty team could be the place for you!
Job Description Summary
Do you want to be part of a team making using data to advance business outcomes? Do you want to enable significant ease-of-doing-business improvements for our business to deliver upon our strategy? Join the Personal Lines Claims Business Insights team to support the Personal Lines Claims organization.
We’re looking for Personal Lines Claims Interns, location variable, with remote work options available. Some travel will be necessary for the Capstone project (under 2 week).
- Extracts and manipulates data from internal and external data sources to position it for root cause, exploratory analysis. Leverages programming languages like R/Python/SQL to curate data.
- Develops custom analyses and views for functional business areas.
- Plans and manages execution of work, participates in planning and delivers on commitments.
- Leverages statistical inferencing when conducting analysis. Communicates significance in findings when working with business partners.
- Participates in special projects and teams as needed to provide business support.
- Complete a capstone project: Identify an opportunity area within the Claims function, develop a solution to address the opportunity and present the proposal to Personal Lines Claims leadership team for consideration.
- Tableau, SQL, R/Python, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Business skills: problem solving, driving insights and recommendations through analytics, storytelling with data.
- Undergraduate studies in data and business analytics, computer science, management information, business, mathematics or related field preferred
- Completion of sophomore or junior year is preferred
- Involvement in student activities and/or some work experience
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
- Knowledge of business policies and procedures, customer service concepts and practices.
- Understanding of and knowledge to create and maintain reports, including data visualization tools.
- Strong communication skills for interactions with others.
- Ability to plan and prioritize tasks, uses time effectively and efficiently and can work on multiple concurrent projects.
Smoke-Free Iowa Statement: Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, its affiliates and subsidiaries comply with the Iowa Smokefree Air Act. Smoking is prohibited in all enclosed areas on or around company premises as well as company issued vehicles. The company offers designated smoking areas in which smoking is permitted at each individual location. The Act prohibits retaliation for reporting complaints or violations. For more information on the Iowa Smokefree Air Act, individuals may contact the Smokefree Air Act Helpline at
For NY residents please review the following state law information: Notice of Employee Rights, Protections, and Obligations LS740 (ny.gov)
Nationwide pays on a geographic-specific salary structure and placement within the actual starting salary range for this position will be determined by a number of factors including the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; the scope, complexity and location of the role as well as the cost of labor in the market; and other conditions of employment.
The national hourly pay range for Nationwide Internships is: $21 - $35
- Business Informatics
- Claim Processing
- Customer Service
- Data Analysis
- Data Visualization