To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Dallas, TX 75374
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Sr Manager Mechanical Engineering
DRS Technologies Inc • Dallas, TX
Posted 1 month ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
LEONARDO DRS is a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. Focused on defense technology, we develop, manufacture and support a broad range of systems for mission critical and military sustainment requirements, as well as homeland security.
Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo, which employs more than 70,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture that rewards performance. For additional information on DRS, please visit our website at www.leonardodrs.com.
LEONARDO DRS Electro Optical Infrared Systems (EOIS) has locations in Dallas, TX, Melbourne, FL, and Cypress, CA. We develop, manufacture, and support infrared and electro-optical solutions for soldiers, ground vehicles and airborne platforms. We offer an exciting and challenging work environment, a competitive salary and benefits package, and a business culture that rewards performance.
Employing the world’s brightest. Supporting the world’s bravest.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
This individual will act as the mechanical team lead for an exciting business area of DRS’ Electro Optics and Imaging Systems (EOIS) division. The mechanical engineering manager is responsible for leading a team of engineers on complex activities ranging from major design efforts to sensor level design. The candidate should be capable of ensuring the mechanical staff is generating the appropriate work products through various product stages from proposal through design, production, and field deployment. A strong background in mechanical design and development for IR sensor systems within the defense industry is required. This mechanical engineering manager will work as part of the overall program and engineering teams developing and executing program plans and interfacing directly with customers. This is a technical leadership position that requires extensive understanding of mechanical engineering development processes, military standards, and hardware test methods.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead a team of mechanical engineers for design activities in cooperation with program management, hardware engineering disciplines, and system engineering team members.
- Develop and track development schedules and metrics using tools such as MS Project
- Oversee and contribute to the development of mechanical development plans, requirements and specifications
- Forecast, manage, and develop staff to support mechanical design, development, and sustaining of new and existing products and projects
- Coordinate the development, design, and improvement of products in conformance with established processes and objectives
- Communicate directly with the technical customer community to establish requirements and convey project status
- Analyze designs as necessary to ensure compliance with performance, cost, schedule, and risk objectives
- Work with technical leaders across the organization to develop product roadmaps and define strategy
- Monitor team activities to ensure compliance with development processes and quality standards
- Participate in the preparation of proposals, including generation of engineering Basis of Estimates
- Attend appropriate engineering, customer or business meetings
- Actively support pursuit of new business by developing and presenting new concepts, technologies or applications
- Support, communicate, reinforce and defend the mission, values and culture of the organization
- Responsible for resource staffing, staff planning, and staff development to meet different LOB business needs
- Collaborating with other DRS divisions in the development/refinement of work product standards
- Other duties as assigned
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIRED SKILLS
- BSME with 10+ years experience in mechanical design
- 5+ years experience in defense industry
- Experience managing complex development activities, including development of program plans, schedules, requirements, and test plans
- Ability to lead, supervise and direct the work of others as assigned for design assignments
- Experience working with CMMI level 3 or higher organizations, processes, and documentation
- Experience developing electro-mechanical requirements and mechanical designs based on system requirements and system design
- Experience with risk management including a background understanding of DOE, failure analysis, design verification methods, and practical problem solving
- Good verbal and written communication skills and experience with the Microsoft Office tools
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, including MS PowerPoint, MS Word and MS Excel
- Strong leadership skills
- Basic knowledge of structural and thermal analysis techniques
- Working knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing and understanding of drafting principles
- Ability to multi-task and work in a team environment
- Ability to obtain Security Clearance
- MSME, related engineering graduate degree, or MBA
- 7+ years in Electro-Optical design
- Experience with infrared imaging and lasers
- Background in CAD design (CREO3 or higher) and Finite Element Modeling (FEA) in thermal and structural analysis and fundamentals
- Experience with design for manufacturing, cost, test, and assembly for military grade equipment
- Experience communicating (written and oral) with manufacturing, supply chain, program management and the customers
- Knowledgeable in quality management systems such as ISO 9001, AS9100
- Prior experience as a mechanical functional lead
- Normal office duties
- Travel may be required up to 10%/year
Only candidates that meet the qualifications as outlined above will be contacted for further information.
Applicants selected for this position will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Only US citizens are eligible for a Security Clearance.
LEONARDO DRS is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital or veteran status, or any other category protected by federal, state or local law. #EOIS