What You Will Do This job posting will be used to identify R&D Engineer 1 applicants and match them to open positions across the Weapons Engineering directorate (ALDW) at the Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL). Selected candidates may be placed into the following Divisions: * ALDW-DAQ | Design Agency Quality
* ALDW-PO | Program Office
* E-Division | Engineering Technology & Design
* J-Division | Integrated Weapons Experiments
* M-Division | Dynamic Experiments
* Q-Division | Weapon Stockpile Modernization
* W-Division | Weapon Systems Engineering
* WFO-Division | Weapons Facilities Operations As an R&D Engineer 1, selected applicants will have the opportunity to do something meaningful and make an impact at one of the most prestigious and innovative multidisciplinary research institutions in the world. Selected candidates will: * Create, design, analyze, and build the tools, instruments, and systems that researchers need to explore, monitor, test, and discover natural and man-made phenomena.
* Apply engineering principles, theories, concepts, and practices to contribute to solutions for a broad range of technical challenges of national importance, including nuclear deterrence and threat reduction.
* Serve as a member of integrated research and development (R&D) teams to answer engineering challenges.
* Assist in the research, design, testing, analysis, verification, and validation of engineering and technology solutions in support of R&D initiatives.
* Learn advanced technologies and analysis techniques employed by the Los Alamos National Laboratory engineering community.
* Adapt to evolving R&D requirements while meeting safety, security, compliance, and schedule imperatives.
What You Need Minimum Job Requirements: * Basic knowledge of engineering concepts, principles, practices, and procedures, as demonstrated by experience researching, designing, testing, analyzing, verifying, and validating engineering solutions.
* Basic knowledge along with any class project experience with analysis or testing in one or more of the following engineering areas: shock, vibration, fluids, thermal, nuclear, systems, explosives, manufacturing, process, control systems, data acquisition and data analysis.
* Basic knowledge of engineering design.
* Demonstrated ability to express ideas clearly in oral and written communications. Education/Experience: Position requires a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited institution related to the occupation combined with 2 years of related experience. Desired Qualifications: Candidates selected for this position are most competitive when they also possess the following knowledge and skills: * Computer programming in support of engineering design, data acquisition, analysis or machine learning.
* Computer Aided Design (CAD), simulation, Finite Element Analysis (FEA), or other engineering discipline specific engineering software tools;
* Work experience demonstrating an attention to detail and commitment to safety;
* Commitment to achieving results in a team environment.
* Leadership experience. Location: This position will be located in Los Alamos, NM. COVID Vaccine: The COVID vaccine is mandatory for all Laboratory employees, on-site contractors, and on-site subcontractors unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to those working on-site, those teleworking, and all new hires. Position commitment: Regular appointment employees are required to serve a period of continuous service in their current position in order to be eligible to apply for posted jobs throughout the Laboratory. If an employee has not served the time required, they may only apply for Laboratory jobs with the documented approval of their Division Leader. The position commitment for this position is a 1 year. Note to Applicants: For full consideration: Please submit a comprehensive resume and include a detailed cover letter explaining how you meet each of the minimum requirements and any of the desired qualifications. #ALDWRecruiting
Where You Will Work Located in beautiful northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. Our generous benefits package includes: * PPO or High Deductible medical insurance with the same large nationwide network
* Dental and vision insurance
* Free basic life and disability insurance
* Paid childbirth and parental leave
* Award-winning 401(k) (6% matching plus 3.5% annually)
* Learning opportunities and tuition assistance
* Flexible schedules and time off (PTO and holidays)
* Onsite gyms and wellness programs
* Extensive relocation packages (outside a 50 mile radius)Additional Details Directive 206.2 - Employment with Triad requires a favorable decision by NNSA indicating employee is suitable under NNSA Supplemental Directive 206.2. Please note that this requirement applies only to citizens of the United States. Foreign nationals are subject to a similar requirement under DOE Order 142.3A. Clearance: Q (Position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements* for access to classified matter. This position requires a Q clearance which requires US Citizenship except in extremely rare circumstances. Dependent upon position, additional authorization to access nuclear weapons information may be required that may or may not be available to dual citizens depending upon the circumstances. *Eligibility requirements: To obtain a clearance, an individual must be at least 18 years of age; U.S. citizenship is required except in very limited circumstances. See DOE Order 472.2 for additional information. New-Employment Drug Test: The Laboratory requires successful applicants to complete a new-employment drug test and maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing. Although New Mexico and other states have legalized the use of marijuana, use and possession of marijuana remain illegal under federal law. A positive drug test for marijuana will result in termination of employment, even if the use was pre-offer. Regular position: Term status Laboratory employees applying for regular-status positions are converted to regular status. Internal Applicants: Regular appointment employees who have served the required period of continuous service in their current position are eligible to apply for posted jobs throughout the Laboratory. If an employee has not served the required period of continuous service, they may only apply for Laboratory jobs with the documented approval of their Division Leader. Please refer to Policy Policy P701 for applicant eligibility requirements. Equal Opportunity: Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to or call
option 1.Employment StatusFull Time
- Attention To Detail
- Control Systems
- Data Analysis
- Data Collection