Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
As the Accountant III - External Reporting and Technical Accounting, you will be part of a dynamic team where you can add value but also learn, develop and move forward in your career! This is a key role as you will work with a variety of business areas, develop partnerships with business leaders, and make an impact with your solid accounting skills.
Your CPA, SEC, SOX, GAAP technical accounting experience along with your business acumen will be critical for success.
The position of Accountant III is located in our Houston, TX Corporate office and reports to the Senior Manager, SEC Reporting & Technical Accounting. I. Job Summary
The Accountant III will be a key member of the Senior Manager, SEC Reporting & Technical Accounting’s organization and will complement the department’s other accounting resources. The position requires a general understanding of U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (“US GAAP”) and SEC regulations.II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
- Coordinate efforts with internal departments and external groups to gather financial and non-financial information for use in SEC filings. Assist with drafting of financial statements and footnote disclosures for SEC filings. Maintain adequate support and documentation for all information included within each SEC filing.
- Knowledge of equity-based compensation, earnings per share, debt and derivatives. Responsibilities will include booking journal entries and preparing account reconciliations for equity-based compensation during month end close.
- Ensure compliance with SEC XBRL filing requirements.
- Research, interpret and communicate US GAAP and SEC regulations. Assists with the implementation of new accounting standards, including developing accounting policies and procedures and financial disclosures.
- Coordinate with our external auditors to ensure timely completion of our quarterly review and annual audit.
- Coordinate the financial reporting for employee benefit plans and captive insurance companies.
- Assist with the maintenance and application of internal controls.
- Assist with evaluating the accounting consequences of potential transactions and provide input and suggestions to planned and proposed agreements, as requested.
- Oversee special projects within the Accounting function, as needed.
This job has no supervisory duties, but may occasionally act as a team lead. IV. Qualifications
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance; Master’s Degree in Business, Accounting or Finance, preferred
- Five plus years of relevant, progressive experience. A combination of public accounting (Big 4) and public company accounting experience, preferred.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
V. Work Environment
- General understanding of US GAAP, Sarbanes Oxley and SEC regulations;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; and
- Exceptional business acumen.
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) most of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc.) rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements rarely;
- Normal setting for this job is: office setting.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles