To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Parsippany-Troy Hills, NJ
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
Area Fleet Transportation Planner
GAF Materials Corporation • Parsippany-Troy Hills, NJ
Posted 14 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
The Area Truck Fleet Transportation Planner is responsible for the planning of freight for the Private and Dedicated truck fleets. This includes optimal load selection and assignment of equipment and drivers in his/her assigned area of the country, for inbound, shuttle, and outbound freight. The shipments are to be selected in a manner that ensures optimal use of the Fleet equipment and drivers at volume levels that meet site and corporate objectives. In addition, this position is responsible for providing analytical support in developing fleet sizing models, annual fleet budgeting, and providing the analytics, reporting, and cost control measures to assure service and profitability targets are met.
The Area Fleet Transportation Planner will also be responsible for utilizing the latest tools and software available to analyze benchmark Fleet performances and provide service performance metrics. This position will be the master user and trainer of Fleet technology systems: defining, developing, and documenting operational processes. It will interface directly with Corporate Logistics, Plant Logistics, Sales, Customer Service, vendors, and key customers. This position will be the liaison for inside freight sales and the coordinator of backhaul freight with key customers and vendors. It will be tactically responsible for executing the Fleet’s operational strategy to achieve the company’s overall objectives.
- Load Selection – Identify and select the best loads for the Private and Dedicated Truck Fleets. Work through the analytical compilations to select the loads that drives down overall transportation cost while delivering the best service. Where feasible, select the loads that provide greatest utilization of the equipment and drivers. This includes accounting for the potential “For-Hire” (commercial) opportunities in different lanes.
- Equipment and Driver Assignment – Optimal assignment of equipment and drivers, managing drivers hours of service (HOS), overtime reduction and managing equipment running miles. Review daily and weekly shipment demand of order intake against Fleet capacities; timely load tendering through FMS with clear, concise communication and collaborating with Fleet drivers, supervisors, plant logistics, and Dedicated Fleet operations. Coordinate with individual plant logistics teams on the planning and shipping schedules for outbound finished goods, shuttle freight, and inbound raw material loads, assuring service levels, volume targets, and profit levels are met.
- Performance/ Metrics - Provide detail service performance metrics, utilizing BI tools for reporting, analytics, and cost analysis, assuring performance metric are met for lowest overall transportation costs at the targeted service levels. Operational planning based on system forecast and computer applications software to determine current and future shipment requirement levels. Drive load optimization based on driver HOS, equipment utilization, and freight lanes. Research and establish ongoing review of Fleet performance against benchmark rates.
- Financial Procedure – Build Annual Fleet Budget and establish weekly, monthly, and quarterly cadence for performance reviews with assigned Fleet sites. Provide all analytics around key performance indicators: equipment maintenance, fuel consumption, drivers’ pay, cost per load, turn times, and safety ratings. Work through key customers, dedicated operation, and third party vendors to gain targeted revenues from backhaul freight. Routinely analyze the Fleet sizing base to meet sourcing changes and demand spikes caused by sales promotions, seasonal buys, weather related events etc., Ensure all service and volume targets are met. Lead the research on shipment invoice discrepancies and cost, and expedite decisions.
- Customer Relations- Add value through service excellence by exceeding both internal customers’( plant operations) and external customers’ expectations with dock appointments, on-time deliveries, POD compliance and operating within safety guidelines. Provide prompt and professional communication to internal (plants operations) and external customers on issue resolution. Interface with Sales and customers, as needed.
- Continuous Improvement – Lean forward to identify opportunities, develop and implement processes to capture efficiencies, cost reductions, and customer service improvements. Provide system and operational process expertise to Fleet, plant logistics, and third party operations.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
Technical knowledge/skills (entry, intermediate, advanced)
- Familiar with standard manufacturing concepts, practices & procedures.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and ERP systems (PS or SAP).
- Acquaintance with Warehouse Management Systems (WMS -RF).
- Advanced knowledge of Transportation Management Systems (TMS), Fleet Management Systems (FMS) and load tendering software, such as web-based CarrierPoint.
- Intermediate knowledge of the Transportation Industry (Private Fleets).
- Intermediate knowledge of State and Federal Transportation Regulations.
- Working knowledge of advanced analytical tools ( Tableau, Alteryx, TMI, Excel).
- Working knowledge of ERP systems, PS, SAP.
- Ability to read and concentrate via computer data entry typing and proofreading.
- Must be able to climb ladders and/or stairs and walk on open gratings on elevated surfaces.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Required to reach with hands and arms; to stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- Frequent sitting, walking, and standing. Occasional climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, and balancing required.
- Frequent use of eye, hand, and finger coordination, enabling the use of office machinery.
- Oral and auditory capacity enabling interpersonal communication, as well as communication through automated devices, such as the telephone.
- Required to sit, stand, walk, and use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Must continuously have the ability to differentiate colors precisely.
- Must occasionally operate business machines.
- Must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, occasionally up to 50 pounds.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Supply Chain, Finance, or Engineering preferred.
- 3-5 years of Transportation/Planning/Logistics /Analytics Experience.
Travel Requirements: 10-15%