To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Flowood, MS 39232
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
Elwood Staffing • Flowood, MS
Posted 6 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
The candidate in this position will be responsible for fitting structural and miscellaneous steel as needed to complete a job or jobs in a quality and productive manner. Must be able to read and understand blue prints and use bevel, combination squares, operate overhead cranes. Must be able to properly handle materials (flipping and rolling). Must be able to effectively and safely use grinders, hand torches, magnets, bar clamps, etc...
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS STATEMENT:
- Operate safety equipment and use safe work habits
- Weld components in flat, vertical, or overhead positions
- Analyze engineering drawings, blueprints, specifications, sketches, work orders, and material safety data sheets to plan layout assembly, and welding operations.
- Lay out, position, align, and secure parts and assemblies prior to assembly, using straightedges, combination squares, calipers, and rulers.
- Examine workpeices for defects and measure workpieces with straightedges or templates to ensure conformance with specifications.
- Recognize, set up, and operate hand and power tools common to the welding trade, such as shielded metal arc and gas metal arc welding equipment
- Weld seperately or in combination, using aluminum, stainless steel, cast iron, and other alloys
- Clamp, hold, tack-weld, heat-bend, grind or bolt component parts to obtain required configurations and positions for welding.
- Select and install torches, torch tips, filler rods, and flux, according to welding chart specifications or types and thickness of metals
- Ignite torches or start power supplies and strick arcs by touching electrodes to metals being welded, completing electrical circuits.
- Connect and turn regulator valves to activate and adjust gas flow and pressure so that desired flames are obtained.
- Determine required equipment and welding methods, applying knowledge of metallurgy, geometry and welding techniques
- Monitor the fitting, burning, and welding processes to avoid overheating of parts or warping, shrinking, distortion or expansion of material.
- Operate manual or semi-automatic welding equipment to fuse metal segments, using processes such as gas tungsten arc, gas metal arc, flux-cored arc, plasma arc, shielded metal arc, resistance welding, and submerged arc welding.
- Mark or tag material with proper job number, piece marks, and other identifying marks as required
- Chip or grind off excess weld, slag, or spatter, using hand scrapers or power chippers, portable grinders, or arc-cutting equipment
- Remove rough spots from workpieces, using portable grinders, hand files, or scrapers
- Prepare all material surfaces to be welded, ensuring that there is no loose or think scale, slag, rust, moisture, grease, or other foreign matter.
- Preheat workpieces prior to welding or bending, using torches or heating furnaces
- Develop templates and models for welding projects, using mathematical calculations based on blueprint information.
- Positions and secure workpieces, using hoists, cranes ,wire, and banding machines or hand tools.
- Guide and direct flames or electrodes on or across workpieces to straighten, bend, melt or build up metal.
- Detect faulty operation of equipment or defective materials and notify supervisors
- Clean or degrease parts, using wire brushes, portable grinders, or chemical baths
- Cut, contour, and bevel metal plates and structural shapes to dimensions specified by blueprints, layouts, work orders, and templates using power saws, hand shears, or chipping knives
- Fill holes, and increase the size of metal parts.
- Check grooves, angles or gap allowances, using micrometers, calipers, and precision measuring instruments
- Perform job functions and responsibilites by working together with coworkers as a team-member to acheive a common goal.
- Accuracy- ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly
- Dependable- Demonstrated ability to be depended on to do what is needed and asked of. Worthy of trust. Reliable resource who can be counted on
- Goal Oriented-Ability to focus on a goal and obtain a pre-determined result.
- Interpersonal- Ability to get along well with a variety of personalities and individuals
- Reliability-The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
- Safety Awareness- Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect employee safety
SKILLS and ABILITIES
Must have at least 6 months previous work experience as a FITTER
Education: High School Graduate or GED is Required