Overview: A physically active, demanding position which requires responsibility for maintaining the cleanliness, sanitary, safe maintenance of the entire Jewish Board program facilities to which the porter is assigned.
RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
1. Daily maintenance, cleaning, dusting of program offices, kitchens, bathrooms, common areas, elevators, lobbies, corridors, stairwells, loading docks, recreational areas, facilities, storage areas, workshops, etc. Thoroughly clean and sanitize all horizontal/vertical surfaces, toilets, partitions, sinks, tile surfaces, walls, doors, hardware, appliances, glass doors, replenish janitorial supplies as required.
2. Cleans and maintains reachable glass, mirrors, architectural metal work, handrails, elevator saddles/metal, moldings, and cleans linoleum base on floor edges.
3. Floor Care: including but not limited to sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, stripping, waxing, buffing, maintenance of all hard surface flooring to include pressure washing.
4. Requires the safe and proper use of hand and all cleaning equipment (manual & power operated) and janitorial chemicals as required.
5. Clean unit exterior sidewalks 18” into the gutter as per NYC/ DOS code.
6. Responsible for all snow removal as required.
7. Remove garbage each day/night, recycle as per NYC code, properly secure/store and carry out refuse for pick up as scheduled.
8. Perform light repairs including but not limited to: painting, wall hangings, changing light bulbs, minor floor/wall repair as needed.
9. In the course of the daily program maintenance schedule, will move furniture for; cleaning, special events, programs, and unit space re-configuration for events on site as required.
10. Operate (turn on/off/reset) basic building systems controls (lights, thermostats, security locks & alarms etc.) and insure they are working correctly.
11. Ensure that all necessary fire regulations are adhered to: Monthly Fire extinguisher checks, annual inspections are up to date, all exit/egress are free and clear from obstructions, no hazardous storage conditions. 12. Responsible for notifying the appropriate Supervisor of any deficiencies, problems or other issues requiring attention or action.
13. Participates in Fire Alarms and evacuation drills as directed.
14. Perform basic grounds work as required including but not limited to mowing, raking, bagging, trimming, clipping, planting, watering, weeding.
15. Must comply with all regulatory requirements regarding facility cleaning, maintenance chemical handling and chemical storage.
16. Works along with handyman/trades and other facilities staff on projects within the scope of this position.
17. Maintains all storage space clean, organized, hazard free.
18. Completes and maintains all job related recordkeeping including but not limited to equipment and supply inventories, work orders, inspection reports.
19. Submit supply list for timely ordering of janitorial supplies and insures that cleaning supplies and equipment inventories are up to date.
20. May be assigned to one or more programs as required.
21. Required to attend and pass all pertinent training (equipment use, OSHA, DEP etc.), provided by the Jewish Board or other operational requirements of the agency.
22. Other duties as assigned.
VISUAL AND MANUAL DEXTERITY
WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL EFFORT:
Operate all forms of hand and power custodial equipment
Able to lift & carry fifty (50) pounds, bend, reach, push, pull, load, unload, climb, etc.
Work safely from a six (6) foot ladder or OSHA approved work platform
To predominantly work on their feet during working hours
The work environment requires working indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions
To perform the essential functions of this job, the candidate is routinely required to stand ninety-five (95)% of the time)
Three (3) years’ experience as a cleaner /maintainer of diverse commercial space.
One year of Trade school or Certificate program in a related field may be substituted for 2 years’ experience.
A HS diploma or GED Preferred. Must be proficient in speaking, reading and writing the English language at a HS level.
Must be able to understand and process written directives and work orders
A Driver’s license is mandatory throughout the Porter (A) Level’s employment, and they must drive agency vehicles in the course of providing job related services when authorized.