To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Chester, PA
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
PROGRAM COUNSELOR, DRUG & ALCOHOL
Geo Reentry Services, LLC. • Chester, PA
Posted 29 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
This position assists in developing, organizing, and conducting programs to provide education for conditions and problems relating to drug and alcohol abuse. Conducts or assists in conducting individual or group counseling sessions and programs. Learns, uses and models principles of the “What Works” system through evidence-based practices in all interactions with clients and other staff members.Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates substance abuse program at an office or group of offices using principles of the “What Works” system. Schedules intakes, and group and individual sessions. Discusses specific cases with case managers to determine if they are appropriate for substance abuse treatment. May assist with the assignment of cases.
- Facilitates psycho-educational/behavior modification groups using principles of the “What Works” system. Documents participants’ attendance, participation and progress in Company database.
- Conducts risk/need assessments and creates individual treatment plans for each assigned participant. Meets regularly with participants and documents participants’ progress or regress in Company database.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with outside referral sources, such as in-patient substance abuse facilities or detox facilities. Actively pursues and develops referrals from probation and evaluating agencies.
- Provides re-entry follow up services at regular intervals, in coordination with other re-entry center programs staff, to ensure released inmates are keeping appointments and determining whether additional services and support networks are needed.
- Maintains accurate clinical documentation including intake summaries, group notes, discharge summaries, treatment plans and updates. Updates therapeutic logs in a timely manner. Enters pertinent information into Company database.
- Identifies problem areas that may impact participants’ ability to successfully complete treatment. Guides participants to develop strategies to overcome obstacles to success completion of treatment.
- May advise Customer of participants’ progress regularly or at completion of treatment.
- Collects participants’ fees for program participation. Tracks fee collection for office or group of offices.
- Ensures that participants’ records are accurately completed in a timely manner.
- May maintain a specific substance abuse treatment case file for every program participant.
- Selects and recommends new instructional materials and programs for use in the substance abuse program.
- Maintains knowledge of new developments in the field of substance abuse.
- Maintains a collegial relationship with other substance abuse professionals, programs, and associations.
- Participates in related training for substance abuse.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Two years professional experience providing drug and alcohol counseling services directly to clients in a social work or criminal justice setting and have earned a Bachelor’s Degree that includes 18 credits in the behavioral sciences, OR
- One year of paraprofessional and one year of professional experience providing drug and alcohol counseling services directly to clients in a social work or criminal justice setting, and are certified by the Pennsylvania Certification Board (PCB) as a “CADC”; OR
- One year of professional experience providing drug and alcohol counseling services directly to clients in a social work or criminal justice setting and a Master’s Degree with major coursework in addictions science, psychology or social work OR
- An equivalent combination of experience and training which includes 18 college credits in the behavioral sciences; OR
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology or Addictions profession, and experience working with the Criminal Justice population; and Training in Medically Assisted Treatment
- Preference given to experience within a correctional setting.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner in both individual and group counseling settings.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with a team of professionals and have the ability to implement team strategy approaches to work assignments.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.
- Bilingual Spanish preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer