CliftonLarsonAllen LLP (CLA) has been retained by Rocky Patel Premium Cigars to identify and assist in the hiring of their Controller who will also oversee the accounting for a couple of other entities. The Controller will be groomed to eventually take on the role of CFO and be responsible for the entire Accounting and Finance function while working closely with operations and leadership.
Headquartered in Naples, FL, Rocky Patel Premium Cigars is a manufacturer, distributor, and wholesaler of premium hand rolled cigars. The organization’s philosophy is that the way to true success is by providing the best product to their customers through complexity and consistency. Their commitment to that philosophy has enabled the organization to exceed customer’s expectations providing some of the top cigars in the world.
The organization has been privately owned since the mid 1990’s with the intention to continue scaling the business. The successful candidate will report directly to the CFO.
Key Success Factors:
• Leading with Impact: Guides and motivates others and is able to direct team to achieve desired end results
• Ownership Mindset: Creates expectations of success throughout the organizations
• Entrepreneurial Grit: Has the courage to take action on new ideas, overcome challenges, and understands the balance of risks vs. positive outcomes
• Business Partner: Anticipates CFO’s needs and looks for opportunities to provide proactive discussion and options for decision making
• People Development: Provides coaching opportunities to help develop staff
• Clear Communication: Communication has high impact and encourages openness
• Teamwork & Collaboration: Manages challenging issues and understands when appropriate to leverage internal experts
• Growing the Business: Focuses efforts on managing work and key leadership relationships to exceed organization’s expectations
The Controller will have primary day-to-day responsibilities with planning, documentation, managing and controlling all financial-related activities of the company. This will include direct responsibility for accounting, forecasting, strategic planning, job costing, financial analysis etc. This also includes month end closing, cash management & analysis, cost accounting, audit support, and other tasks associated with managing the close and continuous improvement of the accounting environment. The Controller will develop and implement plans to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the department.
Rocky Patel Premium Cigars
Essential Accounting Functions –
• Provide leadership and management of all company accounting and finance functions and financial planning (A/R, A/P, G/L, job costing and purchasing)
• Must have a “hands-on” approach
• Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
• Provide leadership with various type of reports to gain visibility into the organization’s financials
• Will oversee the Human Resources department and managing the payroll process
• Work with external auditors on annual financial statement reviews
• Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate
• GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
• Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and actual expenditures
• Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep CFO informed
• Assist CFO in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
• Establishes and implements short- and long-range departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures
• Oversee the financial operations of subsidiary companies
• Participate in special projects as required
Essential Analysis Functions –
• Leads the financial planning process (i.e. modeling, budgeting and forecasting) and with interacting proactively with CFO to build and analyze budgets that incorporate business plan objectives into basic ongoing programs
• Provide analysis of profit margins
• Review leases and contracts in an effort to provide lowest cost terms and conditions
• Support the development of metrics to help improve productivity. Collaborate with CFO to quantify growth opportunities. Perform analyses, as requested, to support various business decisions
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting / Finance
• 10+ years’ experience with at least 3 years of financial modeling and proven skills in accounting
• Proficiency and aptitude for applicable software (ERP, Microsoft Dynamics, Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.)
• An appreciation for Cigars and the aromas as the facility will give off the cigar scent
• Experience in Manufacturing, Distribution, and Supply Chain industries
Cost Accounting Procedures
Annual Financial Report