• Consistently use independent judgment to identify operational staffing issues and needs and perform the following functions as necessary; hire, transfer, suspend, layoff, recall, promote, discharge, assign, direct or discipline employees
• Conducts case investigations and interview and educate individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19 that have been escalated by the case investigators as being especially complex.
• Supervises a COVID-19 team consisting of a Case Investigator and Contact Tracers.
• Monitors syndromic surveillance data for clusters of COVID-19 as well as data for quality and consistency.
• Collaborates, as part of a team, in the creation of regular surveillance reports for COVID-19 in our jurisdiction.
• Assists in the preparation and completion of outbreak response system (ORS) reports for COVID-19 outbreaks for the Illinois Department of Public Health.
• Reviews assigned cases daily with the Case Investigator including contact tracing and notification outcomes and employer notification outcomes.
• Coordinates the Case Investigator schedules and provide daily remote supervision and troubleshooting.
• Assists in training Case Investigators and Contact Tracers.
• Escalate issues from the team to their Case Investigator Manager for further resolution as necessary.
• Serves as a technical consultant for the team of case investigators and contact tracers in the areas of COVID-19 disease reporting and contact tracing, outbreak detection and investigation, statistics and use of the disease surveillance platforms (INEDSS and Salesforce).
• Tracks daily and weekly progress of their teams including number of cases investigated, contacts tracked, and numbers referred to a Care Resource Coordinator for social service assessment.
• Follows up and supervises the notification to employers regarding employees who test positive for COVID-19 education and contact tracing.
•Visits may be required on occasion to lead cluster investigations and complex case investigations; most work will be conducted remotely.
• Communicates with cases and staff in a professional and empathetic manner maintaining emotional and cultural awareness.
• Participates in on-going technical and professional development trainings to strengthen skills throughout the project period to enhance the program’s effectiveness.
• Completes any other relevant documentation for the initiative to assess individual, program components or initiative needs and progress.
• Handles and maintains confidential information with discretion and professionalism and completes HIPAA training requirement.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Master’s degree in Public Health from an accredited college or university OR Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with two (2) years of experience in communicable diseases in a public health or healthcare setting
• Two (2) year of supervisory experience. Experience and knowledge working with diverse communities and underserved populations
• Advanced computer skills and experience including data entry
• Must wear personal protective equipment as required
• Familiar with the geographical region in order to perform contract tracing in suburban Cook County
• Must be able to work flexible hours outside of a usual day shift schedule that may include evenings and weekends
• Modest travel may be required.
• Master’s degree in public health, concentration in community health or epidemiology
• Experience working on healthcare or public health initiatives
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills necessary to communicate with all levels of staff and a population composed of diverse cultures and age groups
• Ability to work collaboratively and remotely
• Strong supervisory skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills required and ability to interact professionally with culturally diverse individuals during a time of crisis and distress
• Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail, accuracy and precision
• Skill and ability to use computer equipment, software programs, and perform data entry
• Understanding of communicable disease surveillance systems
• Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and composure when challenged
• Ability to work independently and exercise sound judgment
• Ability to show empathy to distressed individuals and assist with identifying solutions to problems identified
Physical and Environmental Demands
This position is functioning within a healthcare environment. The incumbent is responsible for adherence to all hospital and department specific safety requirements. This includes but is not limited to the following policies and procedures: complying with Personal Protective Equipment requirements, hand washing and sanitizing practices, complying with department specific engineering and work practice controls and any other work area safety precautions as specified by hospital wide policy and departmental procedures.