To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
1004 Pawlak Pkwy
New Lenox, IL 60451
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Cook Part Time
Silver Oaks Behavioral Hospital • New Lenox, IL
Posted 3 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
The Cook is responsible for the preparation and service of breakfast, lunch and dinner meals for patients and facility staff according to the approved menu cycle and production sheets.
- Open the kitchen and ensure organization of daily events.
- Comply with facility and departmental policies and procedures regarding food services offered.
- Follow menus and recipes as provided by the Dietary Manager and Dietician.
- Prepare meals and beverages according to menu cycle and daily production sheet, providing
attention to attractive and tasteful meals.
- Accurately prepare food for modified diets, consulting with Dietician as required.
- Complete and prepare meals in a timely manner as prescribed by posted meal times.
- Follow posted cleaning schedule and ensure a clean work area and dining room at all times.
- Document refrigeration and dish machine temperatures according to posted schedules.
- Adhere to standards for food temperatures during cooking, serving and storage of leftovers.
- Maintain walk-in freezer and storerooms in an orderly fashion, and properly date and label all
- Adhere to appropriate portion control and avoid over production.
- Comply with established guidelines for sanitation and safety.
- Provide leadership to the other food service staff during shift.
- Interact with patients in the serving line, offering assistance in the selection of a nutritionally
- Support and encourage harmonious working relationships within the department, as well as with all employees in the facility.
- Report any equipment malfunction immediately to the Food Service Manager.
- Provide assistance with washing dishes and maintaining dish room in a clean and orderly fashion.
- Adhere to facility, department, corporate, personnel and standard policies and procedures.
- Attend all mandatory facility in-services and staff development activities as scheduled.
- Adhere to facility standards concerning conduct, dress, attendance and punctuality.
- Support facility-wide quality/performance improvement goals and objectives.
- Maintain confidentiality of facility employees and patient information.
- Responsible for turning off all equipment, inspecting the kitchen for cleanliness and locking the department at the end of the day.
Note: The essential job functions of this position are not limited to the duties listed above.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of basic therapeutic diets.
- Knowledge of basic food service sanitation.
- Knowledge of food portion and waste control.
- Knowledge of industrial kitchen operations and procedures.
- Knowledge of industrial equipment and utensils, and skill in utilizing such.
- Knowledge of basic equipment repairs and adjustments.
- Skill in organizing and prioritizing workloads to meet deadlines.
- Skill in telephone etiquette and paging procedures.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to cook in large quantities.
- Ability to perform office procedures in absence of the Food Service Manager.
- Ability to read menus and recipes.
- Ability to communicate effectively with patients and co-workers.
- Ability to adhere to safety policies and procedures.
- Ability to use good judgment and to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Ability to work as a team player.
- Ability to demonstrate tact, resourcefulness, patience and dedication.
- Ability to accept direction and adhere to policies and procedures.
- Ability to recognize the importance of adapting to the various patient age groups (adolescent,
adult and geriatric).
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to meet corporate deadlines.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL, AND SPECIAL DEMANDS
- Ability to manipulate various kitchen equipment and utensils.
- Ability to read menus and recipes.
- Ability to work within deadlines.
- Ability to stand and walk about the kitchen and facility frequently.
- Ability to stand up to 8 hours at a time.
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds and to push and pull up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in temperatures ranging from -0°F. To 100°F. And higher.
- Ability to stoop, kneel and bend daily.
- Ability to reach, twist and turn above and below the waist.
- Ability to use both hands to accomplish assigned duties.
- Prepared to handle hazardous chemicals as needed.
- Ability to see, taste, smell and hear to assess products served and produce a safe work
MACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT, AND OTHER WORK AIDES:
- All kitchen equipment including ovens, mixers, steamers, toasters, steam tables, knives, slicer, tilt skillet, dishwasher, coffee maker, and hand held kitchen equipment and utensils.
- Food and non-food supplies.
- Telephone and paging system.
- Recipe books, menus, production sheets.
- Business office machines.
- Policies, procedures, plans and program manuals.
Education/Experience: Must have at least two (2) years experience in quantity cooking, a basic knowledge of modified diets; training in food service sanitation and possession of food service food handler’s permit as required; experience utilizing industrial kitchen equipment and utensils; and some prior kitchen supervisory experience helpful.