To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
87 Reads Way
New Castle, DE 19720
- Jacquelyn Moore
- Phone: 302-395-5161
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
New Castle County Government Center • New Castle, DE
Posted 1 month ago
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Performs para-professional and technical work related to the County's centralized payroll operation; performs vital functions related to the PeopleSoft payroll and human resources information system; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: An employee in this class performs a variety of para-professional and technical tasks associated with all aspects of payroll activities for County employees. Under general supervision, this employee performs accounting functions in the preparation, processing, maintenance, verification and reconciliation of payroll records for County personnel in the PeopleSoft payroll and human resources information system. Work involves the exercise of judgement in the application of prescribed policies, procedures, laws and regulations. This is a confidential position dealing with sensitive payroll-related matters. This employee is supervised by a Payroll Supervisor or other designated supervisor.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative only)
- Collects, analyzes, updates and reconciles information to the payroll system on a weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis;
- Processes payroll calculations and confirmations for weekly and biweekly payrolls, and for the monthly pension payroll;
- Examines and processes various payroll deductions and adjustments for accuracy, appropriateness and documentation;
- Oversees department-level payroll changes and updates;
- Sets up and maintains garnishments in the PeopleSoft automated garnishment module;
- Reviews, audits, reconciles and balances wages, taxes and deductions for the County payroll;
- Serves as liaison to management, employees, and human resources relating to payroll records, leave and attendance, and similar matters;
- Assists in maintaining PeopleSoft security for all employees, former employees and pensioners;
- Assists employees with the employee self-service module in PeopleSoft;
- Prepares and processes manual checks;
- Responds to requests for salary and payroll information;
- Collects, reviews, verifies, and calculates data and prepares related reports;
- Maintains payroll records and other related files on a computerized payroll/human resources system for data integrity and accuracy;
- Performs varied research and participates in special projects;
- Assists with the testing of payroll system changes, upgrades and enhancements;
- Researches problems and makes recommendations to resolve such matters;
- Works closely with the Office of Information Technology to resolve issues that arise during the payroll process;
- Answers inquiries and prepares correspondence in accordance with established procedures;
- Assists in developing new procedures and maintaining current standard operating procedures and policies to strengthen internal controls;
- Carries out federal regulations relating to taxes, garnishments, attendance and leave, and other payroll functions and ensures compliance with such regulations;
- Promotes an ongoing attitude of dedication to excellent public service and ensures that external and internal customers are provided with the highest quality of service;
- Operates a personal computer and other related equipment in the course of the work.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: Some knowledge of the principles and practices of payroll administration; some knowledge of payroll and tax regulations; some knowledge of office management practices and procedures; demonstrated skill and proficiency in the use of the PeopleSoft payroll and human resources information system and spreadsheet programs; ability to understand and follow complex oral and written directions; ability to research, analyze and retrieve data to prepare and maintain payroll records, summaries and reports; ability to make decisions in accordance with laws, ordinances, regulations, and established policies; ability to prepare clear, concise reports; ability to communicate courteously and effectively, both verbally and in writing; ability to maintain confidentiality in all aspects of the work; ability to establish and maintain courteous and effective working relationships with management, employees, vendors and outside agencies.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: At least three (3) years of experience in clerical accounting functions to include at least one (1) year in the payroll field using PeopleSoft software and possession of a high school diploma or GED; or an equivalent combination of education, experience or training directly related to the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Must pass a Class III County physical examination and background check.