To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Gaithersburg, MD 20877
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Director of Risk Management
Edgewood • Gaithersburg, MD
Posted 1 month ago
Director of Risk Management and Safety
Edgewood Management Corporation provides superior real estate management and Edgewood Management Corporation is a 45 year old, premiere affordable property management company, responsible for 27,000 units in fourteen states and the District of Columbia. Edgewood’s portfolio represents a variety of multifamily products that include high-rise, mid-rise, garden and townhouse style rental units.
Edgewood Management Corporation provides superior management services for a variety of residential properties and has an exceptional track record to resolve problems and reposition troubled assets in all areas: operations, administrative, financial and physical. Edgewood Management Corporation is recognized as the 9th largest manager of Affordable Housing by the National Affordable Housing Management Association and the 50th largest manager by the National Multi-Housing Council.
Our reputation for providing high quality services with integrity has earned us the trust of our clients and our employees. Edgewood Management Corporation offers a supportive environment where employees are encouraged to develop their skills and talents to their fullest potential. Edgewood is always looking for positive, motivated, and hardworking individuals to join our Edgewood Team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops overall plan and programs that identify, measure, and monitor all risk and security exposures. Selects and recommends appropriate risk, safety and security management controls for all exposure to loss.
- Administers company policies for property, casualty and liability insurance, including general liability, buildings and contents, fixed assets, machinery/equipment, electronic data systems, automobile, flood, storage tank, and public officials. Confers and corresponds with Insurance Representatives and company management and owners concerning insurance program development, including recommending coverages, deductibles, limits, etc. that provide maximum protection while achieving the highest value. Close-reading of proposals, RFP's, management agreements, contracts and other documents for analysis of appropriate and necessary risk awareness, mitigation and management.
- Coordinates activities involving worker’s compensation insurance, including but not limited to administering claim processing, coordinating treatment, coordinating drug/alcohol testing, maintaining communications with insurance adjuster, the employee’s supervisor, company owners, and legal counsel. Establishes or works with management to assess the possibility of modified duty assignments, arranges for release to full duty, maintains claim and incident records, and handles all aspects of record keeping, and reporting to be compliant with federal OSHA and applicable state and/or local requirements.
- Manages procurement, review and competitive marketing for property and casualty insurance coverage, worker’s compensation insurance coverage, security services and safety equipment.
- Manages all phases of the claims process from intake and investigation through litigation, settlement and/or trial, and consults and/or participates in negotiations, conferences and mediations with adjusting companies, legal councils, staff, claimants and others.
- Prepares and evaluates insurance clauses for RFPs, bids and contracts and reviews Certificates of Insurance associated with contracts, purchase orders and RFP/bid responses to ensure they meet required coverage and limits.
- Develops preventative safety program and supervises periodic inspections of company’s machinery, equipment, and working conditions to ensure conformance to safety and sanitary standards and regulations.
- Develops and conducts regular safety and hazard training programs and/or works with departments to develop department specific training goals and training.
- Assesses and remedies health hazards including asbestos, lead based paint, mold, radon and carbon monoxide in multi-family residential structures.
- Reviews plans and specifications for major equipment slated for purchase and proposed facility modifications for safety requirements. Recommends modifications prior to purchase or use.
- Determines appropriate safety equipment and safe work practices to be employed on specific jobs based on OSHA and company standards and implements accordingly.
- Develop short and long term plans and budgets for Risk Management function & activities.
- Manages and coordinates activities with personnel to maintain safe procedures involving toxic fumes, explosive air mixtures and other hazardous circumstances that may be present and that cannot reasonably be eliminated.
- Keeps abreast of, advises management and insures compliance with State and Federal laws, rules and regulations, such as OSHA, ADA, and the company Drivers’ Licensing program, as well as company’s regulations and standards. Communicates with and trains employees to the extent appropriate to achieve understanding and compliance of same. Develops and prepares company safety rules, ensures their communication to those affected, and audits for compliance.
- Manages and continues to develop emergency preparedness and disaster recovery plans and guidelines provided to every community; ensures implementation of the appropriate planning, preparation and recovery.
- Establishes and maintains a method for timely and accurately tracking, working in tandem with existing programs, losses, claims and other related activities and costs.
- Other position-related jobs, duties, tasks, responsibilities, projects and assignments as directed by management.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of the avoidance, reduction, retention and transfer of risk as it relates to large governmental agency with geographically dispersed facilities and operations.
- Thorough knowledge of the insurance industry and of all fields of insurance as well as detailed aspects of insurance and self-insurance management.
- Thorough knowledge of insurance laws in multiple state jurisdictions.
- Thorough knowledge of the Workers’ Compensation statues and other Federal and State laws related to personal injury, property damage, vehicle accidents and other risks.
- Experience working in Affordable Housing.
- Considerable knowledge of management practices and administrative processes.
- Ability to analyze, classify and rate risks, exposures and loss expectancies and effectively associate these with risk management alternatives.
- Ability to plan assign and direct work of subordinate employees engaged in various aspects of safety, claims handling, workers compensation, training and security operations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective collaborative working relations with management and coworkers.
- Ability to work effectively with representatives of the insurance industry, contractors, engineers and service providers.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral forms.
- Knowledge of office administration, budgeting, housekeeping, repair and maintenance or equipment, fire, safety, security matters.
- Knowledge of Federal and Occupational Safety and Health laws and standards.
Education / Experience:
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Risk Management, Insurance, Public or Business Administration supplemented by a minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in risk management and property and casualty insurance, at least two years or which must be in a managerial or supervisory role, or an equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and ability. A Master’s degree in a related field is a plus. Having worked in a legal capacity (JD education plus legal or paralegal experience) is strongly preferred. CPCU (Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter), ARM (Associates in Risk Management), CRM (Certified Risk Manager) and/or CSP (Certified Safety Professional) desired.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to most sensitive inquires or complaints. Ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques or style. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of budgeting, mathematical risk analysis, and bidding and reviewing programs. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, musical notes, etc.) in its most difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel, including extensive work on a computer; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those and employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; extreme heat; risk of electrical shock; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The primary schedule is Monday-Friday from 8:30-5:30; schedule may shift to start earlier, end later, or involve weekend work based on business needs. Incumbent is expected to exercise appropriate judgment in adjusting their own schedule to shifting property operational demands. Must be reachable at all times via phone when not at work for emergency consultation or on-call support, except during approved time off. May be expected to report to properties as needed, including after-hours, for emergencies such as a fire, flood or situations which may involve insurance claims.
Edgewood prides itself on offering a competitive salary and extensive, market-competitive health and welfare BENEFITS including:
- Medical, Dental & Vision
- Prescription Drug Program
- Paid Vacation & Holiday
- Paid Personal/ Sick Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Company Paid AD& D Insurance
- Company Paid Short- Term
- Company Paid Long-term Disability
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Dependent Supplemental Life Insurance
- Educational Assistance
- Financial Planning
- Retirement Savings Plan with company matching
- Company outings and events
Edgewood Management Corporation is committed to a diverse workforce and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.