POSITION SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Director of Nursing or designee, the incumbent will provide direct nursing care by assessing, planning, organizing, documenting, administering, and evaluating nursing care services for intellectually and developmentally disabled adults receiving supports and services through one or more of the Community Services programs provided by The Arc Rockland. Care delivery will be done in compliance with rules and regulations of the NYS OPWDD and The Arc Rockland within the scope of the practice and assessed as such. The Registered Nurse directs and guides the activities of other nursing-related personnel while maintaining standards of professional practice and the established policies and procedures of the Clinical Services and Community Services Departments.
Minimum Education: Graduate of an accredited program of professional nursing, BSN preferred.
Minimum Experience: At least one year of experience within the Human Services field preferred.
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English proficiently.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prioritize assignments and delegate responsibility.
- Must be able to maintain the strictest confidentiality and assure HIPPA compliance.
- Proficiency in the use of a personal computer and appropriate software.
- Understands and adheres to The Arc Rockland’s Code of Conduct, as outlined in the Employee Handbook and all policies and applicable procedures.
- Valid Driver’s license; meets agency’s driving standards as identified.
SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Employees may be required to perform other job-related duties as instructed by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodations.
- Performs clinical/physical assessments and triage.
- Implements plan of care in collaboration with other disciplines. Evaluates plans of care using interdisciplinary approach and updates plans as needed.
- Arranges medical services for supported individuals.
- Provides care direction as needed to LPN and direct care staff based on the individual’s plan of nursing care.
- Supports the interdisciplinary approach to individual care as well as the team process and participates on the team as directed by the Director of Nursing or designee.
- Ensures that all individuals’ medical records are in compliance with all applicable regulations.
- Provides restorative and rehabilitative services as necessary, i.e., bowel and bladder training, ostomy care and delivery of oxygen therapy.
- Performs on-going surveillance and nursing intervention to rescue chronically ill individuals in the agency’s care from the development of negative side effects and secondary results of treatment.
- Takes immediate action, upon discovery of a medical issue, including notifying the Director of Nursing or designee and Community Services management.
- Gives medications and treatments as indicated.
- Takes and records vital signs.
- Provides oversight to AMAP certified staff, which includes trainings and in-servicing pertaining to regulations/OPWDD requirements.
- Participates in and/or directs the rendering of first aid and emergency care as needed or directed.
- Maintains nursing office with supplies as needed, including, but not limited to, OTC medications and durable medical equipment.
- Maintains nursing office/nursing practice in compliance with OSHA guidelines.
- Utilizes principles of infection control when caring for supported individuals who attend community programs.
- Provides coverage for other agency nurses, as directed by the Director of Nursing or designee.
- Assists in writing and reviewing agency nursing policies and procedures as directed.
The Arc Rockland is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Required Certification/Registration: Active New York State RN License required, BSN preferred. Current BLS certification must be obtained and maintained.
Electronic Medical Record
Arm Hand Steadiness
Conducting Physical Examinations