To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Bel Air, MD 21014
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
Email Send Failed!
The Carlisle Group • Bel Air, MD
Posted 1 month ago
Our client is seeking a Production Underwriter to support our Maryland agency footprint. The role manages a group of agencies and a book of Commercial Lines products within a specific geographic territory to increase written premium, improve loss ratio and retention, increase Company name recognition, maintain a high level of customer service satisfaction and further develop the business potential of the territory while drawing upon the strategic direction of the corporation and commercial business services area.
- Develop individual agency business plans which include financial objectives for the specific agent to include premium, loss ratio, new business premium, and policy count retention.
- Develop and implement agency action plans to meet financial and strategic goals and address any corrective action as needed.
- Provide training to agency plant on new programs, services and products in order to assist the agent in achieving their established objectives with the company.
- Production underwriter will also provide assistance on individual accounts with “field underwriting” and marketing sales presentations to prospective insureds.
- Facilitate agency reviews with other team members to review the agent’s performance as compared to the established goals and implements corrective actions as needed.
- Analyze agency profitability for each agent within territory and use this analysis to develop individual agency and territory action plans to address profitability.
- Review agency plant production levels and develop individual agency plans to get agents to profit sharing level. Action plans can include mergers, terminations or rehab plans.
- Gather competitor information and marketing intelligence in order to identify opportunities for improvements to products and pricing.
- Conduct training programs on new products and services for agents in territory.
- Production underwriter must know the business climate of the territory/state, to include legal conditions, market trends and competitor actions and/or programs that may be problems or opportunities. The production underwriter must provide leadership in finding solutions to problems and ways to exploit the opportunities.
Prospecting and Appointment of New Agents
- Review territory and cultivate relationships with agents within territory for possible future appointments.
- Appointment of new agents will include knowledge and use of financial tools and resources to identify potential weakness and strengths of agency under consideration for appointment.
- Utilize available demographic information to determine where new appointments are needed in order to capitalize on the opportunities within the territory.
- Solicit, underwrite and sell new business accounts within framework of company underwriting guidelines.
- Evaluate renewal accounts by reviewing experience, correspondence and inspections to determine if the account should be non-renewed, renewed, or modified.
- Service accounts as result of requests for action or information received by phone, mail, or in person from agents and policyholders in order to develop and maintain sound working relationships with agents.
- Provide recommendations (which are requirements for continuation of coverage) to agents on certain risks based on inspection reports and control compliance through follow-up with agents.
- Review and analyze claim reports and decide if cause of loss requires underwriting action and if so, notify agent of decision.
- Complete file documentation according to company requirements.
- Submit selected risks for reinsurance based on the line of business, size and type of risk involved, and the reinsurance agreement we have with the reinsurer.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in business related field
- Minimum five years of experience in commercial lines underwriting
- Completion of or participation in AU or CPCU programs
- Ability to work mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, attention to detail, accuracy and efficient record keeping required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills along with the ability to make independent, informed decisions.