SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. We are the recognized global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 97,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world. As Manager - Permeation Lab you will provide administrative and technical oversight of lab activities, equipment, supplies and personnel as well as take ownership of the department's financial goals.
• Supports ISO-17025/ANAB accreditation process
• Supports, mentors, and provides guidance to staff to meet department goals and customer requirements
• Continuous improvement in areas of efficiency, and technical acumen.
• Primary technical contact for customers to explain results and resolve issues.
• Assesses staffing levels and staff composition on continual basis and makes recommendations for changes to management.
• Supports HSE process to ensure a safe, professional workplace
• Encourages cooperation with other departments to accomplish division goals.
• Approves all work orders/test specifications.
• Reviews test reports for clerical errors, clarity, consistency and technical accuracy. Interacts with report writer to eliminate errors.
• Final signatory on all reports.
• Reviews and maintains control of lab verification records.
• Formatting and analyzing complex data to meet the requirements of each individual test.
• Ensures all test setups are properly calibrated, operated, and maintained
• Interacts with and/or oversees customer communications to make sure customer’s needs are met.
• Orders all fuels for department, approves all staff purchase requisitions.
• Approves staff timecards on weekly basis
• Performs staff evaluations and when necessary, follows SGS guidelines to correct deficient behavior
• Maintains positive and encouraging work environment for all employees.
• Ensures employees operate to SGS Quality Handbook and system.
• Follows HS&E procedures.
• Makes sure technical staff utilizes standardized work procedures with clear test specifications
• At all times, complies with SGS Code of Integrity and Professional Conduct.
• BS Degree in Engineering or Management with extensive experience related to fuel systems, related components and materials; with emphasis on testing.
• Supervisory experience of technical and non-technical staff.
• Desire to work and/or commute to Lapeer, MI area.
• Ability to lead and approach problem solving in a scientific manner and implement solutions.
• Ability to effectively communicate and articulate ideas, operational issues, and test quality issues to other managers, employees, and upper management.
• Maintains positive attitude and promotes SGS leadership principles
• Experience interacting with customers during stressful circumstances
• Team builder – maintains and insures good team work environment.
• Ability to lead and make sure that work place environment exhibits respect for all employees, customers, and visitors.
• Mechanical and/or electrical background.
• Advanced Microsoft Excel Skills
• Strong background in statistics
• Expert knowledge of ARB and EPA test procedures and regulations related to lab activities.
Complex Problem Solving