The Tax Specialist is accountable for: completing assignments pertaining to all areas of responsibility of the Tax Department, primarily income tax provisions and related SEC footnote disclosures and federal, state and local income tax return filings. The range of tax work is varied as the Company relies on its in-house Tax Department to satisfy a broad range of Company tax responsibilities. The Tax Specialist is expected to complete assignments by working independently with minimal supervision where attention to detail is critical; excellent judgment and discretion are reflected in work product, recommendations, and decisions are made; and strong analytical and communication skills are demonstrated.
Key Performance Indicators:
• Independent, timely and efficient completion of accurate work product, supported by well-organized documentation adhering to Company and Tax Department policies and procedures
• Timely and accurate application of new income tax law and developments in a strategic manner, with thorough/comprehensive analysis and
• Effective coordination with the Tax Department and Accounting & Finance personnel and other individuals within the Company, both as customers of tax services and providers of information to enable the Tax Department to deliver its services
QUALITIES OF A SUCCESSFUL TAX SPECIALIST
• Detail-oriented, flexible, logical, accountable, approachable, and passionate about work
• Maintains calm, professional, positive and collaborative attitude in all work circumstances, which recurringly include deadline-driven and changing external circumstances (e.g., incorporating new information/tax law within inflexible government-determined deadlines)
• Possesses strong organizational, project-planning and management skills
• Communicates with accuracy and precision in writing and speaking
• Proficiently uses technology and re-evaluates processes to increase efficiency, accuracy and appropriate level of documentation through the skilled application of technology tools
• Willing to consider and adopt new approaches in a positive manner including those that modify or supersede approaches that are well-entrenched
• Primarily preparation, and some review, of income tax provisions and related SEC footnote disclosures o federal, state and local income tax return filings estimated tax payment computations o tax projections, including ratemaking-related o regulatory agency filings o utility-plant tax computations (e.g., depreciation, gain/loss, etc.) o information return filings o property tax filings o transaction tax filings
• Perform federal, state and local tax research in support of compliance and planning
• Prepare tax-related correspondence
• Perform other duties as assigned
MINIMUM POSITION QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting or related discipline.
• CPA License and/or MS/MB in Taxation degree preferred.
• Four years of experience performing corporate tax and accounting work.
• ASC 740 tax accounting experience preferred.
• Knowledge of business tax compliance, with focus on federal and state corporate income tax compliance (including consolidation/combination); proficiency with tax-preparation software, including import functions.
• Utility experience preferred.
• Proficiency in Microsoft applications; advanced Excel skills preferred.
• Excellent writing and verbal skills.