Our client is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. Their mission is to unite immigrants, members and allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. They represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.
Media and Press Release Writer
The Media and Press Release Writer, under the supervision of the Communications Strategist, will help drive strategies on earned media and support other public communications on immigrant justice campaigns and organizing efforts. The Communications Manager will execute a media relations plan developed in collaboration with the Communications Strategist, program and advocacy team members, as well as external partners and consultants. They will be responsible for crafting messaging; designing and implementing proactive strategies to advance our advocacy campaigns; promote immigrant rights and integration; and respond to developing stories, as necessary. The position will maintain relationships with journalists in mainstream, local and ethnic media.
The ideal candidate will have at least 3 - 5 years of relevant experience with communications, including developing and placing stories in state and local earned media, building relationships with reporters and training spokespeople from diverse constituencies. They will have excellent writing and editing skills, be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and to juggling priorities in a constantly evolving media landscape.
- Develop and execute press strategies for campaigns, organizing efforts, and other opportunities including short and long term press outreach plans and strategies for traditional media that coordinate with digital communications.
- Draft and finalize press releases, media advisories, op-eds, letters to the editor, fact sheets, talking points and other media materials.
- Field media inquiries and maintain relationships with reporters, editorial staff, columnists, bookers, producers, hosts and bloggers.
- Develop and pitch stories, manage press conferences, and track media coverage; as well as find opportunities to advance the interests of our client and their members through diverse media outreach.
- Develop and implement rapid response communications plans responsive to urgent conditions.
- Work with the staff of our community-based and national partners to provide guidance on press strategy and media amplification.
- Work with the Communications Strategist and consultants to advance communications-related efforts and campaigns.
- At least 3 – 5 years relevant experience, with at least 3 years working in journalism or working in media relations for political campaigns, non-profit organizations or unions.
- Experience developing and implementing press strategies for campaigns, such as community organizing, political and legislative campaigns, as well as experience working with grassroots activists.
- A demonstrated record of securing media placements, including features, op-eds, LTEs, and/or broadcast and radio appearances.
- Excellent writing skills. Candidate should be able to write sharp, memorable copy under deadline.
- Knowledge of immigration policy and/or issues facing immigrant communities strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of Spanish, French, Arabic, Chinese or another language other than English is a strong advantage.
- Experience and comfort with social media and website management a plus. Expertise in graphic design, photo editing, and/or video production is an advantage.
- Willingness to travel occasionally.
• In addition to a competitive salary, our client offers a full benefit plan, paid time off, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.