Member of the Enterprise Data Management team that plans, administers, implements, and manages database repositories.
· Monitors databases for optimal performance and acts to mitigate blocking and performance tuning issues.
· Provides guidance to Application Development staff for query, stored procedures, functions and database design.
· Administers and maintains data reporting systems including designing/provisioning security access.
· Designs, implements, and maintains production batch and scheduling systems in support of Extract Transform Load (ETL) processing.
· Implement, maintain database backup and recovery: encryption, compression, off-site, long-term retention schedules.
· Design, implement, and maintain data structures that support high availability and disaster recovery.
· Design, implement, and maintain phased environment control (non-production environment isolation) and migration processes; utilizes change control and configuration management processes.
· Performs business analysis and gathers requirements to support delivery of cost-effective recommendations for project implementations, future enhancements and alternative solutions.
· Creates and maintains policies and procedures, implementation plans, and recovery documentation. Communicates status and findings to management.
· Identify and evaluate industry trends for future enhancements. Conducts research on emerging data management products, features, languages, and standards in support of procurement, development, security, and ongoing operational database management efforts.
· Evaluates existing applications and systems. Recommends improvements or modifications utilizing current technologies and techniques.
· Conducts server builds, which includes virtual machine sizing, SQL install and configuration, to support SQL upgrades of any/all SQL Server features (e.g., core data engine, SSIS, SSRS, SSAS, MDS/DQS). Cutover planning and documentation.
· Collection of metrics to enable trending of database environment key performance indicators over time. Capacity planning.
· Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Systems.
· Additional years of qualifying work experience or relevant technical certification may be considered in lieu of education.
· Requires three to five years of work experience in database administration or systems development, including mastery of relational database systems (Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, etc), Structured Query Language, Extract Transform Load (ETL) processes and tools, stored procedures and functions, logical database design, query and index tuning, data warehouse structures, reporting systems, and data modeling.
· Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft’s relational databases such as MS SQL Server, Azure SQL Database, and Azure Managed Instance
· Skilled in the use of SQL-based query languages; exposure to PowerShell and/or other scripting tools and techniques. Experienced user of source control management tools (TFS).
· Solid experience and understanding of ESB/ETL tools such as Dell Boomi or SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
· Experience observing change management and code promotion through non-production environments.
· Must have experience with server operating systems (Microsoft Windows and/or Linux/UNIX), server hardware and data storage (SAN, RAID, etc), physical database design, network topologies, relational database security design concepts, and system monitoring.
· Requires effective verbal and written communication skills to recommend technical processes, explain technical procedures, and negotiate resolution of work issues.
· Proven ability to work independently to coordinate and solve moderately complex technical data management issues.
· Must be knowledgeable about technology solutions that are available for use within the enterprise data/information management disciplines. Specifically, must specialize in the internal working of database management systems, including but not limited to content of pages/extents, b-tree and columnstore indexes, statistics, optimizer, query plans, plan/buffer cache, partitioning, log growth, and file/filegroups.
· This is a mid-level position, so minimum requirement early in tenure is to work with moderate supervision of their technical lead with latitude for independent judgment, which would gradually increase commensurate with their experience/capability/success.
GEHA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. GEHA will not discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their compensation or the compensation of another employee or applicant. Our company's corporate headquarters is located in Lee's Summit near Douglas Rd and I-470 with a total of five locations in the Kansas City metropolitan area.
Database Management Systems