Hibbing Taconite is a leading iron ore mining company which began production in 1976 and has an annual plant capacity of 8.0 million tons of iron ore. ArcelorMittal, US Steel and Cleveland-Cliffs are partners in Hibbing Taconite, with ArcelorMittal owning a majority stake.
Cliffs Mining Company is the current manager of Hibbing Taconite joint venture. In August 2019, ArcelorMittal USA will assume the role of manager and at that time Hibbing Taconite employees will join the ArcelorMittal USA Team under ArcelorMittal Hibbing Management LLC.
Summary of Principal Functions:
Provide leadership, direction and coordination in the planning and implementation of all human resources activities at Hibbing Taconite Company.
- Implements all employee and policy objectives and programs in coordination with corporate HR Partners.
- Counsel and support senior management in all areas of bargaining unit employee relations, including the determination of the merits of those grievances appealed to mediation or arbitration, Basic Labor Agreement / Contract interpretation, adherence and administration. Deliver training that may be requested for management.
- Ensure company compliance with federal and state labor and employment laws applicable to salary and bargaining unit employees. Investigate and draft Company’s position statement for EEOC and NLRB charges filed.
- Administer the Talent Management Process including mid-year and annual reviews; oversee compensation.
- Assist in preparing for and negotiating local issue and top table collective bargaining agreements. Assess risk levels associated with collective bargaining strategies.
- Draft contract proposals/counter-proposals for collective bargaining or other labor negotiations; write letters related to labor relations activities.
- Manage the grievance process including tracking grievances, conducting fact finding investigations, drafting grievance resolutions/settlements and memorandums of understanding.
- Present the position of the company during labor arbitration or other labor negotiations; provide expert testimony in legal proceedings related to labor relations or labor contracts.
- Approve all disciplinary actions involving bargaining unit employees, and ensure these actions are consistent with company policies and procedures. Oversee Step II grievances, pre-suspension hearings, and mediation processes to ensure consistency with company policies and overall strategic union and company relations.
- Manage company and union relations regarding contracted-out work.
- B.S. in Human Resources, Industrial Relations, Business Administration or equivalent.
- Master’s degree or Juris Doctorate degree preferred.
8-10 years’ experience in labor relations and human resources, preferably in mining or other industrial type operations; supervisory experience in labor contract administration desirable.
- Ability to obtain working knowledge of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Ability to obtain a working knowledge of federal, state and local employment laws and regulations, including FLSA, FMLA, USERRA.
- Solid analytical, writing, advocacy, consultative, problem solving, communication, and coaching skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Enterprise-Wide Systems.