SENIOR PRODUCT ENGINEER
Company Location: Wallingford, CT
Salary: $70,000-$85,000 (based on experience)
Senior Product Engineer for manufacturing company. This position is responsible for the performance of professional engineering duties in support of product development, process development, Manufacturing, Quality Assurance and or Sales. Position requires product design, material choice, cost control, and knowledge of application of product. Works under the supervision of the V.P. of Engineering & Q.A.
● Bachelor of Science degree in an engineering field.
● 5 years experience in the insulated wire and cable industry, or industry experience in a related field deemed comparable knowledge of conductors and insulating materials; PTFE, FEB and other materials preferred.
● CAD system familiarity.
● Medical, Dental, Life Insurance
● Education Reimbursement Program
● Paid Time Off - Great work life balance
● Training Programs
● Writes and approves Product Specifications (MPCs and Patterns) providing detailed manufacturing instructions for the company’s products to the factory.
● Writes and approves Descriptive Specifications providing detailed information on the company’s products to customers. Provides detailed product drawings with the aid of the CAD program as requested.
● Initiates product qualification and re-qualification programs with independent test centers such as UL, CSA, NAV-AIR, etc. as required. Monitors the progress of such programs. Expedites as necessary. Assures programs are completed in a timely manner.
● Organizes and runs the company’s new product development effort by planning and monitoring laboratory evaluations as required to insure that company’s products are suitable for their intended use.
● Contributes to the company’s process development effort by observing and evaluating existing processes and recommending improvements.
● Participates in the company’s statistical process control program as needed.
● Acts as technical problem-solver for engineering, manufacturing, quality assurance and sales as necessary. Collects and analyzes data. Interprets results and recommends solutions.
● Maintains the Engineering file of customer and agency specifications, and insures the latest revision information is incorporated into SCC documentation as appropriate.
● Authorizes substitutions of material and/or process, if judged appropriate.
● Supports the company ISO program by monitoring all aspects of design control,
● Corrective action as required, and identification of QC test requirements as outlined in customer drawings, recognized agency documents, or contracts. Participates as a member of MRB. If the individual identifies, or has identified to them, any quality related issue that can affect the performance of the product, the individual is responsible for stopping the further processing of said product and notifying the appropriate management representative. If the situation is unclear, then the individual must seek the counsel of others immediately
● Responsible for the completion of assigned duties on time and within budget.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Performs cost analysis on new product for sales quotations.
● Reviews and tests raw materials from vendors seeking to be placed on Specialty Cable’s approved supplier list.
● Monitors temperature and relative humidity of the PTFE mix room and other manufacturing departments on a regular basis to ensure that internal climate control systems are functioning properly.