Barkan Management Company, a large well-established Diversified Property Management Company, is seeking a Maintenance Superintendent for a 213-unit affordable property located in West Hartford, CT. The successful candidate will have at least two years’ experience in Facilities maintenance.
The Maintenance Superintendent is responsible for the smooth operation of the physical plant, including preventive, responsive, emergency and routine maintenance throughout the property.
- Routine preventive maintenance of all equipment and systems, performed according to predetermined schedules and manufacturer’s recommendations and operating manuals.
- Regular (daily) inspections of the property. Record any deficiencies and, under the direction of the Property Manager, take necessary action. Notify Property Manager of any major maintenance problems and recommend possible solutions.
- Maintenance and repair of the various systems throughout the property including plumbing and electrical systems, common and service areas, and any recreational facilities.
- Emergency response and control of emergency situations, as well as repair and maintenance of all systems and equipment contained within any unit or portion thereof.
- Responsible for after hours on-call for property coverage and emergency calls, twenty – four (24) hours per day, seven (7) days per week, on a rotating basis.
- Occasional janitorial duties to maintain high standard of cleanliness.
- Occasionally assist the Snow Contractor with snow removal, to include necessary shoveling, sanding/salting.
- Occasionally assist the Landscaping Contractor with grounds care, to include lawn mowing, digging, trimming, removal and installation of various shrubs, etc.
- Supervision of full, part-time, temporary and contract personnel working on maintenance-related contracts/jobs and projects throughout the property.
- Seek, evaluate and recommend contractors for snow removal, landscaping, pest control, trash removal, etc., in accordance with the management contract and site budget.
- Order and maintain adequate inventory within budgetary limitations of necessary supplies and parts, as well as maintain an inventory control system.
- Perform routine maintenance and cleaning of site equipment and tools.
- Participate in painting of common areas and units, when necessary.
- Perform all unit turnovers including any scheduled contract work.
- Adhere to all purchasing policies in accordance with Barkan Management Co., Inc. policy, i.e. purchase orders, preventative maintenance.
- Ensure grounds are clear of debris and refuse.
- Prompt response to work orders submitted by residents or management.
- Have knowledge of meter cutoffs/shutoffs and sewer cleanouts and post map of same.
- Make certain adequate lighting is maintained and storage areas and entrances are secured.
- Assist Property Manager with preparation of operating and maintenance budget line items, and monthly review of expense.
Education/Training/Experience – At least two years’ experience in Facilities maintenance; technical and/or college degree is preferred but not required. CMM designation a plus.
Qualifications and Skills –Must have the ability to supervise employees, contractors and vendors. Must be organized, efficient, able to prioritize, have excellent follow-up and outstanding interpersonal and communication skills. We are looking for a candidate who is committed and has a willingness to excel in the field of facilities management.
We offer a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits package, to include health, dental, vision, life insurance, long & short-term disability, paid vacations, a 401K match and opportunities for advancement. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Please note that job offers are contingent upon passing a background check and drug test.