GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Performs mechanical engineering work in the field and office at the entrance professional level; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: An employee in this class applies basic professional engineering knowledge and skills to all phases of mechanical/civil engineering projects in the design, planning, construction, inspection, and maintenance, primarily of sanitary sewer pump stations and wastewater treatment facilities. Assignments afford opportunities for independent planning of work details and for some latitude in making technical determinations. Supervision and direction is received from Professional Engineers or managers who are responsible for achieving project or program goals.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative only)
- Performs technical engineering tasks in the design, modeling, construction, and inspection of sanitary sewer pump stations, pressure pipe systems, and treatment facilities;
- Reviews plans and specifications for all types of mechanical/civil engineering projects for technical correctness and adequacy in accordance with established standards, under the supervision of a Professional Engineer;
- Works on capital improvement projects from planning through completed construction;
- Supports the Operations division with analysis of pump station performance, equipment problems, and environmental violations and works to resolve them in accordance with appropriate codes and standards;
- Reviews plans for subdivision and land development applications including pump station and force main design;
- Represents the County at meetings to discuss projects;
- Prepares project schedules and work orders, and performs analysis on Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS), Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and other software systems for various projects and programs;
- Makes analysis of cost data from engineering projects;
- Makes periodic reports and special reports when required;
- Promotes an ongoing attitude of dedication to excellent public service and ensures that external and internal customers are provided with the highest quality of service;
- Operates a personal computer and other related equipment in the course of the work.