Client produces systems containing catalysts, chemical injectors and high-temperature ceramic filters that reduce regulated particulate and chemical emissions produced by diesel and natural-gas fueled engines.
Our structures are primarily ceramic insulated sheet-metal weldments designed to enclose and position filters, catalysts and dosing systems and to attenuate acoustic noise.
The client is looking for a contingent engineer to assist in defining structural durability tests (primarily shock & vibration tests), executing them, inspecting parts before and after testing, executing internal/managing execution of external tests, and reporting test results & conclusions.
A well-qualified candidate will be able to apply principles of statics, strengths of materials, vibrations and mechanical design and will be proficient in verbal communication, informal written communication and writing formal test reports.
Candidates should be able to lift up to 25 pounds, to operate computerized test equipment and to visually inspect parts for flaws & cracks.
• Conduct experiments using third party and in-house tools to determine structural performance of mechanical components and systems.
• Utilize results from experiments to determine the validity of the design to meet customer requirements.
• Obtain input and negotiate with Design, Thermal Sciences, Materials and Product Validation and deliver key structural performance parameters like motion, load, natural frequencies, stress, design margin, and life to Design and Product Validation.
• Apply Principles of Fatigue and Durability to determine life of components and systems via numerical modeling and physical measurements, evaluate component temperatures, natural frequencies, mode shapes, displacements, strains/stresses/wear, and fatigue life to draw conclusions. • Evaluate quality and validity of measurement data, analyze test results using accepted standards to characterize product capabilities in alignment with the requirements of project teams.
- Engineering Design Process
- Structural Analysis
- Structural Engineering