STG International is accepting resumes of qualified candidates for the Registered Nurse position to work full-time providing medical care to detainees in custody in support of ICE Health Service Corps at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Medical Facility.
ATTRIBUTES AND PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES:
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Critical thinking skills
- Cultural competency.
- Integrity and honesty.
- Verbal and written proficiency in Spanish (preferred, not required).
- Experience in a detention/correctional or residential healthcare setting (preferred, not required).
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Degree issuing institution and or program must be accredited by an entity recognized by the U.S.
Department of Education
- Graduate from an associate's or baccalaureate nursing program for Registered Nurses located in a State, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory accredited by The Accreditation
Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing
- Minimum one (1) year of professional experience as a licensed registered nurse in a hospital, medical office or residential setting.
- Current, full and unrestricted licensed as Registered Nurse in the state in which the duty station is located. Any changes to license must be reported to employer immediately.
- This position does not require privileging by IHSC.
- Maintains BLS for Healthcare Providers® certification through the American Heart
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to properly use equipment, materials and supplies in simple diagnostic and treatment procedures.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual environment.
- Ability to utilize telephonic interpreter/translation services to complete assigned duties if not fluent in a language the patient understands.
- Ability to adapt to sudden changes in schedules and flexibility in work requirements.
- Ability to communicate proficiently in English (verbal and written) in order to develop positive rapport with patients, co-workers and other stakeholders.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to navigate in an electronic work environment including electronic health records, web based training and communications.
- Knowledge of, and moderate proficiency in, common Microsoft Office programs, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint.
- Knowledge of regulations (HIPAA/Privacy Act) regarding the confidentiality of patient medical records and information as well as Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides direct care to patients within discipline Scope of Practice and performs functions in accordance with current accepted practice, licensure, certification, credentialing and or granted privileges.
- Provides treatment of persons throughout the life span as appropriate to discipline and facility setting.
- May be expected to respond to and or coordinate response to medical emergencies. Must appropriately document patient/resident encounters electronically according to current standards of care using electronic health records.
- Provides supervision of Licensed Vocational/Practical Nurses, as assigned.
- Evaluates health care needs of residents and develops nursing care plans to meet those needs.
- Provides assessment and treatment of residents during sick call utilizing the IHSC RN
Guidelines and refers to mid-level provider and/or physician as appropriate.
- Provides screening of residents during intake per IHSC established policies and procedures.
- Obtains residents’ medical histories and appropriately refers abnormal findings or responses or stated medical problems to the physician and/ or mid-level provider.
- Draws labs as requested and collects laboratory specimens.
- Destroys and properly disposes of all sharps to include but not limited to needles and syringes according to hazardous waste, infection control and safety guidance.
- Assists in the disposal of biologically hazardous wastes on a regular basis as needed.
- Administers medications, immunizations, education or other needed treatments as ordered/recommended.
- Adheres to professional nursing principals, procedures and techniques for appropriate patient care and take direction from onsite administrative personnel.
- Adheres to medication administration guidelines, understand pharmaceutical agents and their desired effects recognize adverse effects and take appropriate corrective measures as needed.
- Maintains safety when dispensing medications and is continually cognizant of the potential hazards of drug hoarding and trafficking among residents.
- Provide patient/resident health education as appropriate
- Coordinates health care needs of residents with multidisciplinary team members and coordinates referrals to off-site providers as required.
- Participates as member of multidisciplinary team to ensure that equipment, supplies and logs are available, correct and updated. Ensures all equipment is functional and appropriately maintained according to manufacturer’s requirements.
- Provides radiological services in accordance with scope of practice for practice state and
IHSC Policies and Procedures. These services will be primarily to conduct tuberculosis surveillance i.e. digital single view chest x-rays.
- May serve as clinic coordinator to ensure effective and efficient clinical operations.
- May participate in peer reviews, Quality Improvement/Quality Assurance activities, Infection
Control activities, investigations or other clinically significant activities onsite.
- Performs record keeping functions in accordance with program policies and position.
- Maintains functional proficiency and ease of use utilizing electronic health records as required by, and appropriate to, position.
- Completes and passes all discipline specific competencies testing, initially and annually.
- Completes all initial, annual and ad hoc training as required/assigned.
- Maintains patient confidentiality, and confidentiality of medical records, in compliance with the Privacy Act and HIPAA regulations in all work activities.
- Adheres to, and maintains awareness of, IHSC Policies, Procedures, Directives, Operational
Memoranda and accreditation standards as prescribed by ICE/IHSC.
- Adheres to, and participates in, IHSC’s Safety, Prevention, Infection and Control, Quality
Improvement, Patient Education and other programs and collateral duties as appropriate to position.
- Attends and participates in general/medical staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Physician Patient Privilege