Police Service Technician - 517535
Florida International University is classified by Carnegie as a R1: Doctoral Universities - Highest Research Activity and recognized as a Carnegie engaged university. It is a public research university with URL blocked - click to apply that offers 196 URL blocked - click to apply programs in fields such as engineering, computer science, international relations, architecture, law and medicine. As one of South Florida’s anchor institutions, FIU contributes almost $9 billion each year to the local economy. FIU is Worlds Ahead in finding solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. FIU emphasizes research as a major component of its mission. FIU has awarded more than 220,000 degrees and enrolls more than 54,000 students in two campuses and three centers including FIU Downtown on Brickell, Email blocked - click to apply, and the Miami Beach Urban Studios. URL blocked - click to apply houses the Aquarius Reef Base, a unique underwater research facility in the Florida Keys. FIU also supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: URL blocked - click to apply, the URL blocked - click to apply, and the URL blocked - click to apply. FIU is a member of URL blocked - click to apply and more than 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. For more information about FIU, visit URL blocked - click to apply.
The Police Service Technician provides security oversight to students, patrons, faculty, and staff in the College of Engineering and Computing by patrolling floors and enforcing University and College policies.
● Maintains a visible presence in the College of Engineering and Computing by patrolling all floors of the building and enforcing all University and College building policies.
● Responds to non-emergency police incidents and assists with investigations; including lost or missing property, disorderly conduct and other violations of the building use policy, and regularly reports this information to the supervisor and University Police. Responds to accidents, and notifies public safety if injuries are involved.
● Assists with closing for hurricanes, storms and/or any other University emergency closing situations. Is expected to be available to report to work as needed during University emergency closings with appropriate notification by department administrator.
● Performs crowd control and traffic control functions as directed and at special events pertaining to the College.
● Patrols buildings and grounds to prevent crime and to insure security of persons and property. Locks and unlocks buildings and rooms.
● Responds to accidents not involving injuries and assists with investigations; assists stranded motorist when so directed; performs desk officer duties when so requested and acts as a public information source.
● Takes reports of past criminal acts and other non-criminal activity such as found or lost property, criminal mischief, obscene/threatening phone calls.
● Performs related duties as required or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
● Provides directional assistance to students, patrons, faculty and staff. Assists with building evacuations during fire drills and other emergencies. Responsible for camera surveillance.
● High school diploma and one (1) year of experience. College coursework or vocational training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience
● Ability to respond to crisis situations.
● Ability to work well under stressful conditions.
● Excellent communication (oral & written) skills.
● Experience in Law Enforcement or Security.
● Credit Check
● Criminal Background Check
● Drug Screening
● Fingerprinting Check
● Reference Checks
● Educational Verification
● Ability to work flexible hours as needed.
For further information or to apply online visit our website at careers.fiu.edu and reference job opening ID # 517535
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.