Title: Payroll and Accounting Manager
Reports to: General Manager
We are seeking a bright, energetic, and extremely reliable person, capable of working in a fast paced office, often under tight deadlines. The person must be capable of working independently, and must be VERY detail-oriented. Effective communication skills are a must, as the position entails regular interaction with 200 to 300 employees, as well as a large number of clients. Strong bookkeeping skills, coupled with a good knowledge of basic accounting, and in-depth knowledge of QuickBooks are essential. Good computer skills, and the ability to learn specialized payroll software, as well as vendor-specific billing software, are also mandatory.
This is a key managerial position in our company, although there is some repetitive data entry and clerical work involved. Upward mobility is a definite possibility for the successful candidate. The office environment is vibrant, energetic, engaging, and generally a nice place to work. We offer an excellent benefits package, including health care, leave, and 401(k), as well as free parking, and metro accessibility.
· Weekly collection of time cards from 200 to 300 external employees, reconciliation of any discrepancies, obtaining approval for incomplete time cards, verifying pay rates, and entering into payroll system. Includes regularly entering new employees, making sure all requisite information is present and correct. Also includes necessary adjustments to withholding, deducting for garnishments, correcting previous payroll errors, and other non-standard entries. Because employee pay is involved, there is no margin for error, so strong attention to detail is required.
· Weekly payroll processing of approximately 15 to 20 internal employees, including commission calculations, accrued leave, health insurance deductions, 401(k) contributions, etc.
· Processing payroll and distributing paychecks. Includes facilitating direct deposits, personal pick up, and distribution by mail.
· Calculation and preparation of employee state and federal withholding, FICA taxation, and employer-related taxes, and payment of same. This includes Unemployment Insurance payments, Worker’s Compensation insurance payments, and business license payments.
· Preparing year end W-2s, and 1099‘s, and responding to general inquiries regarding employee pay questions.
· Ensuring compliance with the Affordable Care Act, and filing required compliance reports.
· Invoicing clients and entering invoices into accounts receivable system. In some cases, specific client invoicing software must be utilized.
· Receiving client payments, matching with invoices, verifying accuracy, and making appropriate entries into accounts receivable. Includes computation of charges for late payment, refunds, or making other adjustments as needed. Frequently includes client interaction to clarify why invoices are not paid, or to stimulate collections. Also includes processing various forms of payment, such as credit card or ACH disbursements. Advises general manager of delinquent accounts, and assists in collections.
· Paying approved invoices for various services received, such as telephone, software leasing, office supplies, etc. Includes detailed annotation of payments, and correct assignment to appropriate expense categories in QuickBooks.
· Preparing deposits and reconciling bank statements.
· Preparing quarterly and annual tax reporting and paying same.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Strong proficiency in QuickBooks
· Experience with payroll processing; general background/knowledge of accounting a plus
· Proficiency with computers
· Knowledge of MS office
· Knowledge of Ultra-Staff software a huge plus
· Associates degree or above preferred, but not essential
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS NEEDED:
· Strong attention to detail
· Good time management and organization
· Ability to meet deadlines, and work under pressure, with little supervision
· 100% reliability, because payroll processing occurs weekly and cannot be delayed
· Commitment, for same reason as above. In unusual circumstances, staying late or coming in early may be required.
· Maintenance of confidentiality
**Please send salary expectations with resume. You may respond directly to this ad or send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org