The University of Nevada, Las Vegas invites applications for Network Engineer, Office of Information Technology [R0124530]
PROFILE of the UNIVERSITY
Founded in 1957, UNLV is a doctoral-degree-granting institution comprised of approximately 31,000 students and more than 3,900 faculty and staff. To date, UNLV has conferred more than 136,000 degrees, producing more than 120,000 alumni around the world. UNLV is classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as an R1 research university with very high research activity. The university is committed to recruiting and retaining top students and faculty, educating the region's diversifying population and workforce, driving economic activity through increased research and community partnerships, and creating an academic health center for Southern Nevada that includes the launch of a new UNLV School of Medicine. UNLV is located on a 332-acre main campus and two satellite campuses in Southern Nevada.
Here at UNLV, we have come together and created one of the most affirmative and dynamic academic environments in the country. UNLV sits in the top spot in U.S. News & World Report’s annual listing of the nation’s most diverse universities for undergraduates. The university has ranked in the top ten since the rankings debuted more than a decade ago. We continue to show our commitment to serving our wonderfully diverse population and building the future for Las Vegas and Nevada.
For more information, visit us on line at: [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Network Engineer, Office of Information Technology
PROFILE of the DEPARTMENT/COLLEGE
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) provides leadership, support, training, and enterprise IT services that empower students, faculty, and staff. We are a dynamic group of almost 150 full-time administrative faculty and staff and 125 student and temporary employees with a passion for providing excellent customer service to our campus constituents. We value individuality and encourage our employees to be their geekiest selves.
OIT employs only U.S. citizens or non-citizens lawfully authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship. Women, under-represented groups, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
COMMITMENT to DIVERSITY of the DEPARTMENT/COLLEGE
We believe every person brings with them unique strengths, experiences, and perspectives and we value these differences. One of our best opportunities to deliver a workplace that is diverse, inclusive, and focused on equality is to hire candidates who share these values.
The successful candidate for this position will be able to describe and demonstrate their commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness as well as how they contribute to a respectful, positive workplace.
ROLE of the POSITION
Primary responsibilities include working in collaboration with other Network Development and Engineering staff to implement, design, operate, and maintain the UNLV enterprise network and cable plant infrastructure. The enterprise network is composed of routers, switches, firewalls, security appliances, wireless controllers, access points, broadband radios, VoIP-related systems, Linux-based enterprise network systems, and a complex inside/outside cable plant infrastructure.
This position will also provide support for DNS, DHCP, VPN, SYSLOG, TACACS, and other infrastructure-related services. The network engineer will install, upgrade, configure, troubleshoot and support these and other UNLV networking components based on the defined network standards and procedures.
This position will serve as a point of escalation for complex network connectivity issues requiring troubleshooting skills and a good understanding of routing protocols. The person holding this position will consult with internal and external clients as requested to provide solutions to unique network requirements.
The Network Engineer will participate in a weekly on-call rotation and respond to and schedule network outages outside of business hours.
VACCINATION MANDATE POLICY
Per the [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Network Engineer, Office of Information Technology , all NSHE employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious waiver request. All candidates for employment must have this information on file with Human Resources prior to their start date. Information about how the policy applies to new hires is now available on the [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Network Engineer, Office of Information Technology .
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university and at least 3 years of professional experience with Cisco or Juniper router and switch installation and configuration. Credentials must be obtained prior to the start of employment.
CCNA, CCNP certification or equivalent preferred.
The incumbent must have specific skill and knowledge in the following areas:
- Knowledge of the following: LAN switching technologies, routing technologies, VOIP infrastructure, wireless infrastructure,
- network infrastructure services such as DNS, DHCP, NTP, etc., and network infrastructure maintenance and operation.
- Proficient with networking components (routers, switches, firewalls, access points, wireless controllers, unified communication),
- network protocols and technology (e.g. OSPF, MPLS, IPv4, IPv6, FHRP)
- Proficient knowledge with structured cabling system and outside cable plant
- Hands-on experience with configuration and troubleshooting networking components
- Hands-on experience with installation, configuration, and troubleshooting of wireless access points, wireless management systems and associated technologies
- General understanding of Linux based network troubleshooting tools
- Basic programming skills to streamline operations
- Basic project management terminology
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Demonstrated work history of progressively increasing responsibility within the organization
- Strong written and verbal skills with the ability to convey ideas clearly to others
- Interpersonal skills to interact with team members and customers and resolve conflicts in a positive and constructive manner.
- Linux system administration skills
- Enterprise WiFi administration
- Ability to promote, adapt, establish, and adhere to, and enforce best practices and procedures
- Ability to deal with complex problems and apply appropriate tools, data, and techniques to diagnose and develop solutions
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to manage competing priorities
- Must be available to serve i n an on-call rotation for unexpected emergencies and work extended shifts
- Must be willing to adjust shift schedule to perform maintenance and upgrades outside of business hours a minimum of once per
- Ability to develop and deliver oral briefings or presentations at meetings of peers within the unit to communicate technical
- knowledge and new information.
- Ability to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects/network equipment that weigh up to 20 l bs frequently
- Ability to lift network equipment that weighs up to 45lbs occasionally
- Ability to learn technologies through research and self-studies and share knowledge with others in the units
Salary competitive with those at similarly situated institutions. The position is contingent upon funding with a minimum starting salary of $73,400.
Although this position will remain open until filled, review of candidates’ materials will begin on November 29, 2021 , and best consideration will be given for materials submitted prior to that date. Materials should be addressed to Matt Kole, Search Committee Chair, and are to be submitted online as we do not accept emailed materials. For assistance with the application process, please contact UNLV Human Resources at
or [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Network Engineer, Office of Information Technology
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INTERNAL NSHE CANDIDATES
UNLV employees or employees within the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) MUST use the “Find Jobs” process within Workday to find and apply for jobs at UNLV and other NSHE Institutions. Once you log into Workday, type "Find Jobs" in the search box which will navigate to the internal job posting site. Locate this specific job posting by typing the requisition number, R0124530 , in the search box.
If you complete an application outside of the internal application process, your application will be returned and you will have to reapply as an internal applicant which may delay your application.
SAFETY AND SECURITY STATEMENT
UNLV is committed to assisting all members of the UNLV community in providing for their own safety and security. [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Network Engineer, Office of Information Technology is available online.
UNLV is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action educator and employer committed to achieving excellence through diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, color, religion, sex, age, creed, national origin, veteran status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or any other factor protected by anti-discrimination laws. The University of Nevada, Las Vegas employs only United States citizens and non-citizens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. Women, under-represented groups, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
TITLE IX STATEMENT
UNLV does not discriminate in its employment practices or in its educational programs or activities, including admissions, on the basis of sex/gender pursuant to Title IX, or on the basis of any other legally protected category as is set forth in NSHE Handbook Title 4, Chapter 8, Section 13. Reports of discriminatory misconduct, questions regarding Title IX, and/or concerns about noncompliance with Title IX or any other anti-discrimination laws or policies should be directed to UNLV’s Title IX Coordinator Michelle Sposito. The Title IX Coordinator can be reached through the [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Network Engineer, Office of Information Technology , by email at [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Network Engineer, Office of Information Technology , by phone at
, by mail at 4505 S. Maryland Parkway, Box 451062, Las Vegas, NV, 89154-1062, or in person at Frank and Estella Beam Hall (BEH), Room 555.
- Information Security
- Network Switches
- Network Router
- I Pv6
- Installations (Computer Systems)
- Routing Protocols