The School Nurse Supervisor under the direction of the School Health Services Coordinator supervises the License Practical Nurses in the Education Department, monitors the safe implementation of medical procedures, treatments, or medications for Oak Hill School students. Additionally, in keeping with Oak Hill School mission, the School Nurse Supervisor supports and ensures students’ access to Oak Hill School educational services, assists in building students’ self-advocacy, independence, and reinforce students’ dignity and quality of life. Furthermore, applicants will be expected to obtain Sign Language Level 1 during their initial training period, which is facilitated through Oak Hill.
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Learning Environment, Engagement, and Commitment to Learning:
- Promotes student/adult learner engagement, independence and interdependence in learning and facilitate a positive learning community by promoting positive learning environment that is respectful and equitable
- Promotes developmentally appropriate standards of behavior that supports a productive learning environment.
- Maximizes service delivery by effectively managing routines and transitions.
- Adheres to American Nurses Association (ANA) and National Association School Nurses (NASN) codes of Ethics, as well as school district policies, educational laws, and health care laws to guide decision making in his or her practice.
- Planning implementation of healthcare plans to engage students’ in their educational process:
- Designs health care plans that support student academics, social/behavioral, therapeutic, crisis or consultative plans to engage student/adult learners in rigorous and relevant learning and to promote their curiosity about the world at large:
- Collects comprehensive data pertinent to student’s healthcare; includes all the essential components of the health care plan such as an emergency health care plan, routine interventions, transportation plans, off site plans and medication plans.
- Uses current health care standards, trends, alternative or complimentary strategies and evidence-based information to develop health care plans in a timely manner.
- Collaborates with the inter-disciplinary team, family members and other health care providers to develop individualized health care plans.
- Identifies expected outcomes for student’s individualized plan.
- Health Service Delivery in Support of Student learning:
- Works with school personnel to integrate the health care plan as aligned with student’s IEP.
- Provides direction to school personnel in carrying out the specific aspects of student’s established health care plan; oversees the delivery and supervises the delegation of nursing procedures or medication administration.
- Evaluates nursing schedules to determine appropriate nursing staffing patterns to meet the medical and educational needs of students.
- Professional Responsibilities and Leadership:
- Maximizes support for learning by developing and demonstrating professionalism, collaboration, and leadership:
- Engages in continuous professional learning to enhance service delivery and improve student learning.
- Collaborates to develop and sustain a professional learning environment to support student learning.
- Works with colleagues, students, and families to develop and sustain a positive school climate that supports student learning.
Target Outcomes & Measures for Success
- Assures school health programming aligns with Oak Hill School mission and goals; ensures the classroom environment remains conducive to learning to result in maintaining and/or increasing student census.
- Supports students’ education through appropriate health programming that complies with all schools statutory and regulatory guidelines.
- Effectively plans and organizes all systems relative to student health initiatives and compliance.
- Directs and mentors License Practical Nurses in support of school health administration throughout all Oak Hill classrooms.
- Assists the School Health Services Coordinator with informing and/or engaging student families of student health services initiatives or health alerts as required; and as appropriate provides school health guidance to the Chief Administrator in support of accomplishing Oak Hill School strategic goals.
Impact on Organization
The School Nurse Supervisor assists the School Health Services Coordinator in facilitating the vision, mission, and goals of Oak Hill School through managing all health/medical compliance initiatives.
Critical Work Relationships and Work Flow Interdependencies
The School Nurse Supervisor has contact with the School Health Services Coordinator, Chief Administrator, Education Administrator, Director of Education, Teachers, Program Assistants, applicable agencies as appropriate and may have contact with any employee and/or person who are within the range of the Education Dept., Oak Hill School, and Oak Hill.
Wide span of control over nursing staff with ability to review and interpret health/medical policy, processes, and procedures; engage and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Education: Must meet educational requirements for Registered Nurse
- Skills/Training/Experience: Knowledge of school nursing and State board of Education requirements.
- Competency: Good leadership and/or supervisory, interpersonal and communication skills; ability to develop, implement, and evaluate; analyze, organize, interpret; define problems, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and identify solutions; direct and present information to individuals and groups; manage accurate records; manage timelines, work plans, and make policy recommendations as necessary. Mission driven with ability to plan and follow projected vision to positive end results.
- Education: Bachelor’s in Nursing (BSN)
- Skills/Training/Experience: 3 years or more of school nursing with some supervisory experience.
- Competency: Proven excellence in leadership and/or supervisory, interpersonal and communication skills; ability to develop, implement, and evaluate; analyze, organize, interpret; define problems, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and identify solutions; direct and present information to individuals and groups; manage accurate records; manage timelines, work plans, and make policy recommendations as necessary. Mission driven with ability to plan and follow projected vision to positive end results.
Registered Nurse Certified