We are currently seeking a Health, Safety & Environmental Specialist for our Health Safety and Environmental Department. This individual performs various HSE activities and assists in program development and training. The position is a key HSE resource for our industrial programs and will establish strong working relationships with employees. This position reports directly to the HSE Manager.
Under the direction of the HSE Manager, the Administrator will help develop safety policies and procedures, organize team meetings, solve safety issues, coordinate audits and inspections, track corrective actions and incident data, review important safety documents, generate and maintain HSE documentation and many other duties that require a high degree of attention to detail.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
• Coordinates and administers our Health, Safety & Environmental programs.
• Assists in development, implementation, promotion, evaluation and management of our Health, Safety & Environmental and loss control programs and activities.
• Evaluates working conditions and operational practices and inspects our facilities and equipment to identify environmental, occupational health and safety hazards and other violations. Provides follow-up with department Managers to insure timely corrective action.
• Develop safety meeting topics. Conduct safety meetings and safety drills.
• Develops educational, technical and promotional materials, posters, brochures, newsletters etc. to create and increase our Health, Safety & Environmental awareness.
• Assists HSE Manager in investigations of all accidents and incidents and in coordination with other regulatory agencies as required.
• Monitors and evaluates our Health, Safety, & Environmental management programs to ensure compliance with CAL OSHA/OSHA and related regulations.
• Identifies, reports and provides solutions to HSE Manager regarding employee environmental and occupational health, safety, and loss control programs and regulatory compliances.
• Researches and assists in the development of specifications for the purchase of safety materials and safety-related equipment. Performs operational and in use inspections of equipment to ensure quality, performance, and conformance with our standards.
• Assists HSE Manager in conducting job hazard analysis and works with managers and employees to correct safety violations and hazards.
• Administers company's hazardous materials program including waste minimization procedures; reviews chemicals used. Coordinates the first responder clean-up for hazardous waste spills/incidents; provides technical guidance in the clean-up and removal of hazardous materials/wastes.
• Works with HSE Manager on technical and administrative matters related to environmental and occupational health, safety and risk/loss control management programs.
• Coordinate and performs safety training and mandated training programs in compliance with local, state, and federal laws.
• Responds, investigates, and identifies all employee environmental, occupational health and safety complaints and hazard reporting.
• Collaborates with HSE Manger to review accidents, hazard complaints, incident reports, injuries and near misses and investigates causes; identifies areas of high injury and accident rated and develops safety programs to address them. Reports safety issues to HSE Manager.
• Ensures that hazardous waste and surplus chemicals are disposed of in compliance with local and state regulations; prepares waste regulatory reports.
• Oversee and manage safety data sheet (SDS) and safety training databases.
• Serves on and oversees the Safety Committee and Emergency Response Team. Direct and Participates in Safety Committee and Emergency Response Team meetings. In coordination with Committee’s suggestions, develops and revises Safety & Emergency Operation Plans as required.
• Attends conferences, trainings and seminars to keep abreast of industry practices, trends, health, safety, loss control legislative and regulatory changes; evaluates implications for our policies, programs and operations and recommends changes to ensure compliance.
• Maintains safety program documents. Hard copy and electronic.
• Assist with workers compensation claims and OSHA 300 logs,
• Maintains third party administrator accounts such as ISNetworld, Avetta, OSCA, DISA, Browz, and Appruv. Assist with TPA audits.
• Be physically present in the workplace on a daily basis as scheduled.
• Performs other related duties as required or requested.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Use innovative thinking to create continuous improvement.
• Working knowledge and advanced computer skills.
• Technical knowledge that applies to HSE regulations
• Ability to work through complex situations.
• Self-motivated, detail-oriented and organized.
• Assumes a professional working relationship between clients, staff and management.
• Able to work independently and in a team environment.
• Ability to read and interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral or schedule format.
• Must be punctual, have a good attendance record, and have reliable means of transportation to work.