Office of Ethnic and Community Media
Position Title: Principal Data Analyst
Job ID Number: 35688
About the Office:
New York City is one of the most diverse cities in the world, and the news publications its residents read and consume reflect that diversity. The Mayor’s Office of Ethnic and Community Media (MOECM) promotes City services and programs through partnerships with a diverse array of media outlets and CBOs/Nonprofits that serve people across the five boroughs. MOECM was established by Local Law 83 of 2021, which requires that Mayoral agencies spend at least half of their advertising revenue on Ethnic and Community Media (ECM) outlets. Ethnic and Community Media outlets are defined as newspapers, websites, and broadcast media outlets that serve communities of people based on factors like native language, race, color, gender, national origin, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, disability, or immigrant status; and outlets that target discrete neighborhoods, geographic regions, or populations within the city rather than the city. MOECM facilitates connections between Ethnic and Community Media outlets and City agencies; advises the mayor on communicating government information to the public; oversees the Local Law 83 ECM spending requirement; and publishes an annual report on general advertising spending by Mayoral agencies.
- A Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and 4-6 years of full-time experience in a governmental agency, business firm, civic or community organization. Internships, fellowships, and select volunteer experience can be counted toward the 4-6 years.
- Experience in data cleaning, merging disparate data sources, data analysis, data reporting, and visualization.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including ability to communicate about and present data to a variety of audiences.
- Familiarity with urban issues, especially New York City government. Familiarity with or willingness to learn about New York City’s media outlet landscape.
- Ability to think creatively, embrace new approaches and pioneer innovative solutions to complex problems.
- Flexibility, multi-tasking capability, and enthusiastic work ethic.
- Proficiency in Excel required, including cleaning, and merging datasets, creating data visualizations, and performing data analysis.
- Experience using visualization tools (i.e., Tableau, Microsoft Power BI, Google Data Studio, etc.) is required.]
- Proficiency in a programming language (e.g., Python, R) is strongly preferred.
Commensurate with experience.
Please s e nd a co py of yo ur re s ume, a c over le t te r , and t hree ( 3) r e fer e n ce s to [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Principal Data Analyst
New York City Residency Is Required Within 90 Days of Appointment
The City of New York is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
The Adams Administration values diversity — in backgrounds and in experiences that is reflective of the city it serves. Applicants of all backgrounds are strongly encouraged and welcomed to apply.
For current job opportunities in the NYC Mayor’s Office visit the [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Principal Data Analyst
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to access job openings or apply for a job on this site as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by contacting Human Resources at [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Principal Data Analyst .
As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
About the Role:
The Principal Data Analyst (PDA) will provide technical and analytical support to the Office, and will lead the Office’s work in collecting, reporting on, and analyzing agency advertising data. This role requires strong communication, project management, and data analytics skills. The job responsibilities for the PDA include, but are not limited to:
- Providing technical and analytical support by:
- Liaising with agencies and ad placement vendors to collect advertising spending data.
- Analyzing data to assess compliance with LL83’s 50 percent requirement, and to identify trends in agency ad spending.
- Working with agencies to identify areas for boosting LL83 compliance through new advertising campaigns, using agency data and research from open data platforms (e.g., the Census Bureau, NYC Open Data Portal, etc.).
- Communicating findings to the Office, key stakeholders, and the public through presentations, dashboards, and reports.
- Providing project management support by:
- Maintaining process documentation on the Office’s data collection practices.
- Working with agencies to trouble-shoot their data needs and answer questions.
- Developing training materials for agencies required to submit data to the Office and assist with training agency liaisons as needed.
- Coordinating routine data collection, analysis, and reporting cycles with agency liaisons.
- Supporting the Office with project management and coordination on additional workstreams as needed.
- Data Analysis
- Data Cleansing
- Data Collection