To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Wausau, WI
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Great Lakes Cheese • Wausau, WI
Posted 1 month ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
As a family owned business with a long-term focus on growth and stability, we are committed to you, our dedicated employee. Our environment of open communication, integrity, and mutual respect encourages everyone to go beyond what is expected.
The Packaging Engineer will support all aspects of packaging material and equipment. The Engineer will interact with GLC departments as well as customers, vendors and co-packers.
- Lead packaging projects from concept design through implementation.
- Manage materials to maximize operating efficiencies while containing/reducing expenses.
- Standardize and manage packaging specifications for all products.
- Facilitate the resolution of any problems with existing supplies.
- Foster the vendor selection and qualification process.
- Evaluate, research and develop new/alternate materials, process methods, equipment and technologies.
- Set-up and/or design for new products.
- Provide operating guidelines and parameters for all packaging run conditions.
- Oversee special SKU projects.
- Improve plant efficiencies through equipment automation.
- Manage new and modified line set-up; purchase; maintenance; and service.
- Standardize procedures relating to packaging and machinery applications to optimize finished product quality and performance.
- Provide solutions for daily issues related to packaging, costing materials & labor.
- Ensure compliance with packaging materials.
- Resolve vendor compliance issues, new material or vendor qualification.
- Collaborate with the Sales & Marketing teams to lead feasibility studies for new products.
- Capital Project Management:
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to develop success criteria.
- Project >$100k will need to be competitively bid, develop the bid list.
- Preparation of the RFP:
- Create a clear statement of work.
- Outline the project success criteria for timeline, start up, throughput, quality, etc.
- Provide process flow diagram or appropriate info to vendors with the RFP.
- Confirm the RFP has current T&C doc, equipment specification doc and FAT expectations.
- Review the submitted responses to the RFP and prepare a bid tab on the budgetary side and on the technical comparisons of each vendor.
- Prepare purchase orders (contract) with line item detail to match the deliverables, performance, timeline etc.
- Project ownership for cost, schedule & performance.
- All GLC employees are expected to perform any assignment or job task according to the stated safety policies and procedures.
- All GLC employees are expected to produce our products in a manner that exceeds the quality and value expectation of our customers and consumers by adhering to Good Manufacturing Practices, Policies and Procedures outlined in our Safe Quality Food Program.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the manager.
Required Education, Experience and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in packaging engineering or mechanical engineering.
- 1 - 3 years of packaging experience in the CPG packaging field.
- Rigid packaging experience, cup filling experience, vacuum packaging.
- Ability to communicate with packaging material suppliers, packaging equipment manufacturers, and co-packers.
- 50% of travel.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills
- Experience in package commercialization
- Experience in attending customer visits to support the sales/marketing team.
- Experience of in the food/dairy industry.
- Work is performed in an office setting.
- Occasional exposure to industrial operations including: temperature extremes from approximately 35ºF to 100ºF; noise levels in excess of 85 dB; moisture and moving machinery.
Great Lakes Cheese is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.