We're hosting Virtual Open Interviews for qualified, full-time Technicians!
When: Mondays - Fridays | 7 AM - 10 AM & 12 PM - 2 PM EST
Where: Virtually, via ZOOM
How: Follow this link to complete the Pre-Application: [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Diesel Tractor Mechanic/Technician
*Once you have completed this form, a Dayton Freight Hiring Manager will contact you with more information.
*Please note that filling out the pre-application form is not equivalent to completing an online application. The Hiring Manager may request you to complete an online application, which can be found by clicking the button on this page to "Apply".
The Apply button may be at the top, bottom, or right-hand side of your screen, depending on the device you are using.
You belong at Dayton Freight! Join our team of Tractor Mechanics and be a part of The Dayton Difference .
Dayton Freight is a recognized leader in regional LTL transportation services and we are truly different from other carriers. It's apparent in how we treat our customers, and each other. Our culture is one of teamwork, respect and professional honesty. Dayton Freight appreciates its employees: you are not just a number, you are family. We attribute our growth to the dedication of our employees, and the loyalty of our customers and business partners.
Tractor Technicians are to perform maintenance services in which the volume and quality of work is within the acceptably measures standards for a Dayton Freight Lines.
Additional job duties include:
- Effectively perform maintenance and part replacement procedures
- Able to diagnose and repair components of tractors
- Masters troubleshooting skills, combining personal experience with broad knowledge of Electronic Control Module diagnostic programming
- Proficient in the repair of all major power and drive train components
- Effectively and efficiently performs Preventative Maintenance inspections and services
- Repair and adjust brake system
- Repair, adjust, and align suspension system
- Perform collision and body repair service
- Maintain tire pressure program
- Able to effectively test and repair entire truck chassis electrical system. *Dependent upon Class of technician
- Proficient in the disassembly and rebuilding of diesel engines.*Dependent upon Class of technician
- Perform service calls
- Wash and fuel equipment when necessary
- Perform road tests on vehicles to ensure quality repair service is performed. *Dependent upon having a CDL
- Perform other maintenance duties or assignments when necessary
- Consistently positive attitude, interacting courteously and professionally with fellow employees
- Proactively assist, guide and direct junior technicians
- Be aware of all assigned work in the shop and assume responsibility for its proper completion
- Be involved in the daily operations and when asked, fill in during absence of the supervisor. *Dependent upon Class of technician
- Demonstrate professional excellence at all times and be a positive example for others to follow
- Be a leading participant in the care and upkeep of the shop, the grounds and all equipment and tools
- Maintain a clean, safe environment that complies to OSHA and company standards
- Be proficient in recording all work and labor on a computer in Dayton Freight’s Equipment Maintenance System
- Report questionable abuse and unauthorized tampering of equipment to the supervisor
- Work with the Parts Department to assume that all necessary material; parts, service supplies and shop supplies are maintained at proper quantity levels
- Comply with all Parts Department procedures and rules at all times
- Work in compliance to EPA regulations
- Work within all DOT and company safety requirements
- Be responsible to actively participate in any company sponsored continuous improvements
- Knowledge of diesel tractors and diagnostics
- Able to work in a fast paced environment
- Great communication skills
- Stable and growing organization
- Competitive weekly pay
- Quick advancement
- Laundered uniforms
- Professional, positive and people-centered work environment
- Modern facilities
- Clean, late model equipment
- Comprehensive benefits package: Health, Dental, Vision, AD&D, 401(k), etc.
- Paid holidays (8); paid vacation and personal days
Keywords: maintenance technician, maintenance, maintenance tech, maintenance mechanic, general maintenance, maintenance manager, mechanic, diesel mechanic, motor, chassis, repair, engine, Diesel, Mechanic, Truck Mechanic, Fleet Mechanic, Diesel Tech., Class 8 Truck Mechanic
- Suspension (Vehicle)
- Electrical Systems