Department/Location: Public Works & Utilities – Distribution and Collection Division
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Bargaining Unit: AFSCME
Classification: Essential: This position is an Essential classification and will require employee to report to duty after a hurricane or emergency.
Schedule: This position normally works a regular weekday daytime shift and requires scheduled/unscheduled overtime, including evenings, weekends and holidays and/or immediate response to emergency conditions.
Supervision Exercised: None
Supervision Received: Supervisor or Superintendent
General Purpose of the Position: Under general supervision, performs journeyman level work in installing, maintaining and repairing water distribution, reclaimed water distribution, and wastewater collection systems; and performs related duties as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Repairs and maintains water distribution, reclaimed water distribution and wastewater collection systems including the installation of mains, pipe lines, meters, hydrants, valves, water and irrigation meters and related system components.
· Repairs and replaces valves, fire hydrants, water and reclaimed water distribution lines, force mains, gravity sewer lines, air release valves and structures.
· Inspects water, reclaimed water and wastewater lines, searches for leaks, measures flow and locates lines for contractors, other utility companies and co-workers.
· Operates trucks and construction/maintenance equipment as necessary to complete work projects; checks equipment for proper servicing, operation and safety and reports defects to crew chief; maintains inventory of tools and equipment.
· May operate Flush Truck, Vac Truck or Valve Truck and oversees other employees assigned to the truck activities; Records data, updates field maps and reports discrepancies to the Crew Chief or Supervisor.
· Installs street barricades and cones prior to the performance of construction and repair activities; directs and controls traffic around work sites.
· Perform duties as assigned through work orders.
· Keep basic records; perform computer data entry.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Physical Abilities Required:
· Knowledge of safe work techniques and practices used in minor line construction.
· Ability to make independent judgments and decisions.
· Knowledge of materials used in the construction and maintenance of water and wastewater facilities, water distribution and wastewater collection systems.
· Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with employees and the public.
· Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
· Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
· Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
· Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
· Knowledge of job-related software as required by Department.
· Ability to work in close, confined spaces, walk, stand, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk, hear, reach above shoulders, work overhead on ladders and platforms, use fingers and hands with dexterity, and feel and reach with hands and arms.
· Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift up to 80 pounds.
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
Equipment Used: Computer, cell phone, telephone, radio. Non-CDL and CDL Class B vehicles and light equipment, pumps, power valve turner, trencher, generators, concrete saw, and miscellaneous hand tools including shovels, sledge hammers, wrenches, pipe cutters, ratchets, saws, etc.. Safety equipment is provided.
Education and Experience Required: Prior to appointment to position must possess either:
1. Both an FDEP Water Distribution System Level 2 license and a Florida state-approved Wastewater Collections Operator Certification Class A or B; or
2. Both a Florida state-approved Wastewater Collections Operator Class B Certification and an FDEP Water Distribution System License Level 1 or 2.
Must also possess a good driving record, a valid Florida driver’s license and either a high school diploma or GED equivalent. A minimum of two (2) years of experience as a Distribution-Collection Operator C, or equivalent experience required.
Environmental Conditions: Work is primarily performed outside in varying and extreme weather conditions for extended periods of time where employees are exposed to excessively loud noises from construction equipment, exposure to live sewer systems, human debris, drug paraphernalia, hot tar and asphalt, heavy equipment, working in and around trenches, hazardous gases, fumes, paint, chemicals and pesticides. Physical effort is required to perform heavy manual labor in confined and cramped spaces and uncomfortable conditions, climb ladders, bend, reach, and stand for long periods of time. Occasional exposure to slippery and/or uneven surfaces; heights above twenty (20) feet; below ground level, with feet, legs and/or hands in water. Occasional exposure to confined spaces. Subject to 24-hour call back for emergency conditions. Appropriate training and safety equipment will be provided for all conditions.
Commercial Driver License (CDL): A Commercial Driver License (CDL) Class B driver’s license with air brake endorsement and tanker endorsement is required for this position.