Reports to: Director of Athletics Communications
Time commitment: 40+ hours per week; 12 month contract
The Assistant Director of Athletics Communications is responsible for assisting in all aspects of communications, electronic media production, media relations and sports information relating to the University’s 15 intercollegiate sports: baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s cross country, men’s and women’s track & field, men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s swimming, women’s tennis, women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s water polo; overseeing the production of all video and graphic content for athletics and supervising numerous student workers, interns and game-day staff.
- Handles day-to-day media responsibilities for assigned sports programs
- Serves as on-campus host for assigned intercollegiate athletic events and coordinates media coverage for those events.
- Prepares news releases and feature articles relating to assigned sports.
- Distributes sports information and serves as liaison to local, state and national media (print, TV, radio, online).
- Writes, designs and oversees production of game programs and other promotional publications for athletics.
- Maintains the official Department of Athletics website (www.fpuathletics.com).
- Produces and creates video content
- Hires, trains and supervises student and seasonal employees in skilled positions as needed. Tracks and oversees intern hours.
- Coordinates online and radio broadcasts of athletics events.
- Promotes individual student-athletes for awards and post-season honors.
- Maintains athletics records and statistical files. Submits statistical records on time, in accordance with NCAA and PacWest Conference requirements.
- Uses statistical software to keep NCAA-mandated stats and oversees official reporting of all contests to the NCAA
- Serves as the University contact with PacWest Conference and NCAA offices for assigned sports.
- Supervises student employees, and assists in scheduling personnel to work athletics events.
- Nominates and promotes student-athletes, as well as the university as a whole, for various athletic, academic and miscellaneous awards and honors.
- Assists in department graphic design, including all promotional materials as well as occasional work for corporate sponsors and advertisements.
- Assists athletics staff in promoting game-day initiatives and accommodating the needs of visiting teams.
- Works with University Communications Department on joint projects as needed
- Works with Assistant A.D. for Event Operations to coordinate set-up and production of athletics events.
- Works with Assistant Director for Athletics External Relations to coordinate fundraising materials and promotion of alumni events.
- Builds relationships with local media, and works to gain exposure for FPU Athletics.
- Assists in the oversight of all athletics social media and works to promote FPU Athletics by managing all content on the department’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube accounts.
- Assists in the oversight of the FPU YouTube channel, as well as the creation of quality video content.
- Assists in department graphic design and works to ensure correct usage of FPU trademarks and logos.
- Assists in keeping record of all photography and video highlight footage for the department.
- Assists in providing social media education to student-athletes and coaches
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics Communications and/or senior athletics administration.
- An expressed personal Christian commitment and support of the Christian mission of the University.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, Sport Management, Kinesiology or related field.
- Previous experience in sports information or applicable sports media.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks on strict deadlines.
- Experience in social media and online promotions.
- Knowledge of AP style.
- Basic understanding of Statcrew and/or Genius Sports software.
- Expressed commitment to NCAA legislation and compliance.
- Experience in video editing and Final Cut Pro software
- Experience in graphic design
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Word.
- Experience in athletics marketing and/or promotions
Pay is based upon qualifications and experience.
Download and complete an application form. Candidates must complete and submit an application in order to be considered for the position.
Fresno Pacific University offers undergraduate and graduate programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation. Some 4,000 traditional and adult students attend classes on the main campus in southeast Fresno or centers in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 10,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 44 percent, and is one of the top 10 HSIs nationally in graduating Hispanic students. The Valley’s only comprehensive Christian university granting master’s degrees, the university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific University Idea.
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.
The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.