The Business Development Specialist promotes HSS growth and expansion by reaching new customers and is responsible for developing new business avenues for HSS while working with other departments within the company to expand existing service lines.
The Business Development Specialist is an experienced business development professional responsible for promoting HSS' Techniques for Effective Aggression Management (TEAM™), EM Solutions®, and Security Consulting Service. This position will assist HSS in reaching identified strategic growth and expansion goals primarily by reaching new customers. Responsibilities include lead generation, prospecting, proposing, negotiating and closing new business opportunities.
As part of the Risk Consulting and Training Division, this position plays a key role in defining and executing HSS internal and external strategic growth priorities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identifies hospitals, health system, and channel partner contacts and develops new prospective customer relationships using qualification criteria consistent with HSS' strategic direction
- Develops and sustains accurate prospect lists for targeted outreach
- Develops detailed sales plans to meet and exceed HSS' strategic growth goals
- Identifies key decision makers, specifiers and influencers, build trusting relationships with them, and manages the sales process
- Secures and conducts virtual & face-to-face sales meetings and presentations by leveraging personal and professional relationships as well as through cold calling
- Applies qualification criteria consistent with HSS's strategic direction when prospecting, quoting and negotiating new business contracts
- Adjusts and modifies the content of sales presentations to meet specific customer needs/areas of concerns
- Represents HSS at client and prospect meetings, and in other professional settings such as conferences and speaking engagements in a professional manner
- Conducts intensive research pertaining to channel partner development, product development, and product distribution
- Utilizes Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system to maintain detailed data on all relevant prospect communications and activities, pipeline, and customer management
- Submits activity and results reports, such as daily call reports, weekly productivity reports, and monthly, quarterly, and annual updates on sales activities
- Contributes to Risk Consulting & Training Division and other HSS business development team efforts in developing market intelligence on standard industry offerings and competitive analysis
- Partners with Strategic Account Management, Healthcare Security Operations and other HSS staff performing outreach activities across all HSS service lines
- Monitors, maintains, and acts in response to dashboards of prospecting and sales performance
OTHER DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists HSS marketing efforts and help to develop new business strategies, gather data & conduct market analysis for new and existing markets
- Helps HSS meet and exceed its customer retention goals
- Builds and maintains a positive working relationship with HSS customers other key stakeholders, local public safety agencies, hospital association, other channel partners and HSS Administration
- Ability to work independently and autonomously
- Is a good steward of HSS resources and manages travel and expense budget within company guidelines
- Instills a culture of continuous performance improvement and innovation
- Keeps abreast of the business, regulatory and economic environment in which the company, its customers and stakeholders operate
- Bachelor's Degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience plus 3-5 years of experience in successful and creative service industry sales or business development or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Security, training or healthcare industry related knowledge a plus
- Must demonstrate outstanding judgment, confidentiality and mature business skills with the ability to establish a strong rapport with peers and management
- Excellent consultative selling, problem solving, and analytical skills with demonstrated experience creating, pitching, negotiating and closing six-figure plus service deals
- Extensive research experience preferred
- Ability to create new and unique ideas and an entrepreneurial spirit a plus
- Must demonstrate outstanding stewardship and relationship building/management skills to expand the mission and vision of HSS
- Writing / presentation skills and computer literacy -- proficient using standard office software such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, and ERP/CRM systems
- Extensive experience in reviewing, analyzing, and developing appropriate responses to large, complex Request for Proposals
- Ability to handle tight deadlines and stressful environments
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and immediately respond to client and potential client requests
- Willingness to ask questions rather than just follow directions is required
- Strong customer service aptitude and sincere willingness to serve and do right by teammates, customers and prospects alike
- Willingness to work with the team and take a "hands-on" approach
- Able to relate to individuals at all levels. Require sensitivity to corporate needs, employee goodwill, customer expectations, and public image
- Able to give, receive, and analyze information, formulate work plans, prepare written materials, and articulate goals and action plans in a clear and concise manner
- Self-starter; can work well in a varied environment
- Ability to travel by vehicle or plane, to include overnight travel
- Possess valid driver's license and ability to meet HSS' driving requirements
- Exemplifies in both speech and action the six words that define HSS: Empathy, Intellect, Innovation, Diplomacy, Discretion and Presence.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
This is a full-time position. Typical workweeks exceed the standard 40 hours. This position regularly requires long hours and frequent weekend work. Environment may be fast-paced and pressure-filled. Frequently travel is outside the local area and overnight. Occasionally international travel will be required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk or sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Frequently engages in mental concentration, analysis, and formulation. While visiting client locations, individual may occasionally be exposed to changes in temperatures, humidity, chemicals, bodily fluids, and other conditions commonly found in customer environments. Able to drive a vehicle and travel by plane.
HSS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.