The Grocery Department Manager-in-Training is accountable to learn the successful day-to-day operations of the Grocery department. The operations include the implementation of company standards, the management of company assets, attention to maintaining a local competitive position, and the development and training of staff. You support the rest of the store management team and foster positive customer relationships.
• As directed by the Grocery Department Manager, provide excellent customer service by delivering on the Value Offer;
• Deal quickly and effectively with customer complaints, requests, and inquiries;
• Schedule department staff to maximize customer service and fulfill business needs;
• Work with the Grocery Department Manager to manage the Grocery Department and maximize sales and profits;
• Develop departmental business plans in order to meet or exceed sales and gross profit goals;
• Monitor gross profit, investigate, and address variances and communicate to the Category Manager;
• Complete regular competitor price checks to protect competitive position and monitor sales trends;
• Work with the Grocery Department Manager to ensure the daily operating disciplines, as described in the Best Practices Manual (Retail Basics) are consistently met;
• Ensure product quality through correct ordering, receiving, inspection, handling, labeling, pricing, and stock rotation; and
• As directed by the Grocery Manager, recruit, support, train, and develop staff.
Desired Skills & Experience:
• Strong customer service skills;
• Record of bottom line and sales results in previous roles;
• 3+ years of management experience in grocery retail;
• Ability to interpret a variety of instructions, both verbally and written;
• Computer knowledge of Excel and Outlook;
• Strong knowledge of grocery operating principles;
• Ability to work with confidential information;
• Strong analytical skills; and
• Customer driven.