1. Supervise the management and direction of all corporate legal matters;
2. Oversee the Company’s contracting practices, including maintenance of internal contract administration system and negotiation of customer contracts;
3. Provide guidance to the Engineering Department and Divisional Managers as appropriate to resolve contract claims and manage/minimize contract risks;
4. Develop and provide training on key issues relative to contracts administration and negotiation;
5. Oversee claims management, including reporting procedures, claims investigation, conferring with claimants, attorneys and brokers, settlement of claims etc.
6. Negotiate and procure insurance coverage to effectively manage the risks borne by the Company’s operations, including property, general liability, excess liability, workers’ compensation, directors and officers and other coverage as appropriate;
7. Manage the review/selection process for broker relationships and insurance carriers;
8. Participate with the Company’s credit and collection practices, including liens and payment bond claims.
● Law Degree (JD) and admission to a state Bar (preferably in ME, MA or NH);
● Minimum of 6-8 years of legal experience with contract drafting, negotiation, litigation and alternative dispute resolution. Strong background in construction law is highly desired. Knowledge of insurance is preferred but Company is willing to train;
● Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills;
● Must be a team-player;
● Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
● Must possess a solid understanding of commercial credit/collections regulations and practices;
● Familiar with construction contracts and associated risks;
● Ability to work strategically with focus as well as prioritize and multi-task in a dynamic work environment;
● Must be highly organized and detail oriented with a demonstrated ability to lead independently;
● Must be able to deal with difficult, sensitive and confidential issues;
● Must be flexible, adaptable and able to travel.