This position will provide in-depth expertise and communication management for the Child Welfare Capacity Building Center for States (the Center), in support of the Children's Bureau. Under broad supervision, serves on the Center’s Executive Leadership Team and is responsible for creating and maintaining a positive public image for the Center. Writes, designs and oversees media releases, speeches, print, web-based communications, and/or social media content to shape public perception of the Center and to increase awareness of its work and goals. Cultivates relationships with press offices, journalists, bloggers and opinion leaders, as well as legislators and government officials. May act as spokesperson for a variety of media inquiries. Assists in preparing senior leadership for press conferences, media interviews and speeches. Positions the Center for media success by implementing protocols for internal crises communications and leveraging opportunities for rapid response. Collaborates on media strategy across the Center.
- Serves on the Center's Senior Management Team.
- Creates informative and interesting press releases, press kits, newsletters, and related communications materials.
- Develops and implements effective communication strategies that increase brand awareness and customer satisfaction.
- Prepares and shares detailed media activity reports.
- Plans and manages the design, content and production of all communication materials.
- Supervises projects to guarantee all content is publication-ready.
- Creates communication and awareness strategies for new products, launches, events, and promotions.
- Works across the Center to generate new ideas and strategies.
- Responds to communication-related issues in a timely manner.
- Develops and maintains a clear and consistent brand voice.
- Delivers products on very short notice and within tight timeframes to respond to immediate government needs.
Knowledge & Experience: Proven work experience in communications management.Understanding of Federal, State and County government and experience working in or providing support to large government bureaucracies.Knowledge and demonstrated experience in the areas of strategic planning, project management, capacity development and change management.Knowledge of the priority areas set forth to transform child welfare and capacity building by the ACF Children’s Bureau.Knowledge on best practice capacity building strategies, approaches and methods.Strong proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite and/or standard software applications typically used in a corporate office environment.Certification in copyediting, copywriting and SEO copywriting a plus.
Bachelor's degree in public relations, journalism, communications, English, business, or a related field from an accredited college or university AND Five years of related experience.
§ Working more than 40 hours per week may be required to meet project deadlines.
§ Physically able to participate and present in training sessions, presentations and meetings.
§ Some travel may be required for the purpose of meeting with clients, stakeholders, vendors or off-site personnel/management.