Develop and implement strategies to disseminate knowledge, obtained through American Legion activities and programs, in order to advance the quality of veteran care in the Department of Veterans Affairs health care system. Provide direct support to veterans in need of VA care.
1. Plan, direct, and coordinate activities and programs, as a proponent of quality of care at Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) medical facilities, including The American Legion’s System Worth Saving (SWS).
2. Organize and conduct town halls and focus groups with veterans to capture their perspective on local VA care.
3. Prepare reports that identify successes, emerging issues and developments in VA health care programs.
4. Provide advocacy services to individual veterans and follow up on VA patient care issues.
5. Provide support to veterans on programs within the Health Policy portfolio, including but not limited to, mental health, wellness, women veterans, caregivers, and VA Voluntary Service.
6. Prepare information for legislative mandates and monitor VA health care-related mandates presented to Congress.
7. Prepare and deliver Congressional testimony on behalf of the national organization.
8. Provide support to VA&R Commission, Executive Committee, Health Administration Committee, and the TBI/PTSD Committee.
9.Perform other duties as assigned.
College education – four-year degree to provide basic familiarity with a variety of subjects.
Additional Skills Needed:
• Able to coordinate all necessary event details and logistics.
• Serve as the onsite lead support for event logistics, commission members and staff.
• Anticipate project needs and has problem solving skills.
• Communicate effectively verbally in a diverse range of settings and audiences.
• Excellent writing, proofreading and editing skills.
• Capable of interpreting legal documents and government regulations.
• Experience with military and veterans protocol, culture and language.
• Knowledge of The American Legion organizational structure, programs, services and policies.
• Must have good computer skills to include MS Office Suite.
3 years up to 5 years