In approximately 18 to 24 months, the services currently located in the Shriners Hospitals for Children-Houston will transition to the Shriners Hospital for Children-Galveston location.
Shriners Hospitals for Children – Houston, located in the heart of the prominent Texas Medical Center, has an immediate opening for a PRN Cook. The PRN Cook is a per diem position. The cook must exhibit the highest standards for food handling, preparation, storage, and personal hygiene to reduce the risk of food borne illness in the hospital. This individual prepares and cooks meals for service to patients, employees, and cafeteria customers. Creativity, menu planning, and a strong interest in providing food that is consistent with standardized recipes is expected. This person must be able to take a leadership role as well as work as a team member. This individual must consistently evaluate and identify improvement processes both in menus and service.
Prepares, monitors, and serves meals to patients, employees and all visitors in the cafeteria.
• Assists Sr. Cook in setting up and preparing food/beverages for all caterings, special events, and other meetings in the hospital.
• Prepares, monitors, and serves meals to patients, employees, customers and special events in an efficient and effective manner.
• Plans cooking schedule and quantities so that food will be ready at different intervals to ensure highest quality product possible without running out on serving line. Prepares entrees, vegetables, salads, soups, and desserts for individual servings and directs distribution of food to service area. Makes additional quantities or appropriate substitutions in the event of outages.
• Provides guidance to servers regarding portion sizes and serving techniques for each item.
• Is knowledgeable of modified diets and refers to the department diet manual when there is a question.
• Measures, mixes and cooks ingredients using a variety of kitchen equipment such as stoves, ovens, flat grills, steamers, mixers, slicers, and blenders according to equipment manufacturer’s directions.
Continuously reviews and has appropriate knowledge of all food safety guidelines pertaining to various cooking, reheating, and storage temperatures, to ensure food safety.
Follows appropriate food safety and sanitation techniques in accordance with the rules and regulations of the Houston Department of Human and Health Services.
• Cleans, sanitizes when appropriate, and effectively organizes all food storage areas including storeroom, refrigerators, and freezers by keeping ingredients and products in their proper containers, labeled, dated, and in their respective designated areas and places. Returns boxes and containers to their proper place in storage areas. Labels, dates, and properly stores all opened or unused portions of ingredients or food.
Practices the “First in, First out” method of food storage at all times. strives to keep out mold, mildew, outdated foods, and uses best judgment in discarding any foods not suitable for use. Monitors for any indication of rodents, insects, and other pests.
• Washes and sanitizes any dishes, pots, pans and equipment used in food preparation using the dish machine or the three compartment sink method.
• Cleans and sanitizes work area regularly and at the end of the day using the appropriate sanitizing solution.
Note: This is not an all-inclusive list of this job’s responsibilities. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties and
High School Diploma/GED Required.
1 year of related work experience in healthcare setting.
Food Service Sanitation Certification preferred.
Outline Of Food Preparation