Senior Analyst - ICFR Compliance
The senior analyst, ICFR Compliance leads the risk assessment and compliance process for internal controls for both GAAP and Statutory standards. This role will have the unique opportunity to work directly with all levels of management and business functions to gain in-depth knowledge of key processes and company-specific risks. They will develop practical solutions to improve these processes and work with our internal audit team to implement new or improve existing controls.
This role also presents the opportunity to lead the risk assessment process and design controls related to major projects and business initiatives, as well as implementation of new accounting guidance; such as the guidance for Credit Losses on Financial Instruments (CECL) and Long-duration Insurance Contracts.
This person should have a proven desire to lead, excellent communication and organization, strong attention to detail, and approach projects with curiosity and a desire to learn. They have high expectations for themselves with the ambition to exceed them!
Primary responsibilities include:
Internal Controls Risk Assessment and Compliance -- 90%
- Partner with the key business area and IT process owners to ensure process narratives, procedures, controls and control mapping requirements are kept current and comply with internal and external documentation requirements.
- Participate in key process walkthroughs to identify, validate and document significant classes of transactions, financial reporting risks, financial statement assertions and key/non-key controls.
- Provide technical expertise to business partners enterprise-wide for the design and changes to internal controls as needed.
- Assist in designing controls for special projects, including the implementation of new accounting standards, business initiatives, and system implementations.
- Build and maintain positive and collaborative relationships with all levels of management, internal audit, and external auditors.
- Lead the GAAP and STAT annual risk assessments and scoping analysis.
- Prepare periodic reporting packages and other presentations for senior management related to planning, risk assessment and compliance, audit findings and remediation plans.
- Facilitate the remediation of control gaps/deficiencies and escalate possible critical issues to senior management. Identify areas of potential improvement for key processes and procedures and supports the management of the related processes and procedures.
- Keep key finance team members and management appropriately updated on relevant internal control compliance activities and timely communication of risks and issues identified.
- Coordinate and analyze periodic process owner sub-certifications.
Technical Accounting -- 10%
- Assist in the preparation of accounting memos and policies.
- Perform technical accounting research related to new or complex transactions.
- Stay current with developments in the accounting and finance world, sharing knowledge with others.
A successful candidate must have:
- A BA/BS in Accounting
- Minimum of 3 years of experience, preferably in public accounting, consulting, and/or internal audit role
- CPA or CPA-eligible, actively working towards license
An ideal candidate also has:
- Strong working knowledge of ICFR standards, types, methodologies, documentation and control testing
- Strong understanding of IT audit methodology and strong foundation in Information Technology General Controls (ITGC)
- Experience with Workiva
- Strong oral and written communication skills - ability to explain concepts and articulate opinions at all levels
- Strong project management abilities
- Strong documentation skills -- clear, concise, detailed, and accurate
- Creativity, problem solving, and decision-making skills
- Good time management, capable of planning and prioritizing multiple tasks while meeting deadlines under pressure
- A positive attitude and sense of humor!
- Experience in the financial services or insurance industry is preferred, but not required.